It started with pulling mommy's hair, now she pulls her own and says "OW"

My girls are a little over 15months old now and I am really conserned about Samantha's behaivior. For the most part she is the most good natured child of the two, rarely throws fits and is very loving. But she started pulling my hair, shich is always in their face... I mean its curly and everywhere, sometimes I want to pull it. The both did it for a while but not mostly just Sam. After months of this and me replying "OW, that hurts mommy, no maam!" Now when she does this, and I reply she pulls her own hair and says "OW". I don't know what to do, it has been about a week now that she has been doing this. Just yesterday I came down on her more seriously about pulling hair, anyones hair. WHY IS SHE PULLING HER HAIR?! Anyone have any issues with this, how do I treat this, I think she thinks its funny but at the same time I think she is actually hurting herself, her "OW" is really believable....Help!

twinsane

Asked by twinsane at 11:05 AM on Nov. 17, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my daughter was pulling my sons hair and i would tap her hand and tell her no thats not nice.but now she hits and tries to bite and i tap her hand and tell her no. i don't want to bite back like some people have said to do cuz then she will think it is a game. i would just tap her hand and tell her no it may take awile since she has been doing it for a while,but yea if you pull her hair when she pulls yours your just playing her game
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:14 AM on Nov. 17, 2008

• I think you misunderstood, I am NOT pulling her hair.... she is, she pulls mine and I say ow then she pulls her own and says ow..... I wouldn't not pull her hair....though I have thought about it.
    twinsane

Answer by twinsane at 11:27 AM on Nov. 17, 2008

• She probably thinks it's funny. When she pulls, instead of saying no, grab her hand and have her do something else with it. LIke, rub your hair and say "nice". She may not catch on right away, but over time she'll start doing that instead of pulling. My mom did that with my daughter when she was watching her one day. Now she likes to rub peoples faces and say "nice". SHe's 18 months.
    Anonymous

• i had this question with my son, who is now 2. he pulled my hair and then started pulling his own and saying ow. i let him pull his own hair and he pulled it hard enough one day it hurt him enough to make him stop and he has not pulled his hair one time since. he will realize when enough is enough.
    jseibert

Answer by jseibert at 1:43 PM on Nov. 17, 2008