Do SAHMs make a difference in the world?

In another post, a poster was talking about working women and said that they were "making a difference in the world" I like to think as a SAHM, that the time I spend shaping my children's values/morals, teaching them to think of others, to share what they have, etc., makes a huge difference in the world - in fact, more of a difference than anything I could be doing outside of the home. Your thoughts?

Asked by missanc at 1:17 PM on Feb. 9, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• i believe with all my heart that sahm do make a huge difference. i believe you are impacting the world by making sure that your children have a safe and loving enviroment to be grow up in and being there to point them in the right direction. I think that all stay at home parents contribute greatly. A child in this kind of enviroment will more than likely grow up and want to make its mark on the world in a positive way. i applaude all of the stay home parents and wish them the best because in alot of ways that job is harder than any job you will find in today's work force. you need more skills to stay at home and raise children than you do to work at most jobs these days!
    mikenjess

Answer by mikenjess at 5:23 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• All parents, moms or dads, stay at home or working. We all make a difference. IMO.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 1:25 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• There was a time when I would have said no. (I was a career person up until 3.5 years ago.) After living the life of a SAHM, I have to say yes. My DH has experienced a lot of success at his job - which he attributes to me. (He doesn't have to worry that things are taken care of at home, and I'm a pretty good corporate wife.) My kids and I have always been close, but since I've been home I've had a lot more time to spend with them, and have been able to teach them life lessons I wouldn't have necessarily been able to had I still been working. I think my contribution to the household has changed all of our lives for the better, the impact to the world isn't as profound, but I'm enabling my DH to make a contribution, and preparing my children to do so in the future.

I don't think that either a working or SAHM makes any larger or smaller contribution to society, I believe their roles are just different.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 1:26 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• sorry but no. women who stay at home really don't make a difference in every day society. raising kids doesn't change the world. women used to be forced to stay at home and now they can do anything. women who stomp on the old norms of what a woman is supposed to do change the world. a woman doctor researching a cure for cancer and still makes it home to have dinner with her family changes the world. "

Here's a down vote for ya!!! :)
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 1:26 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I think every person makes a difference in this world one way or another...and every person starts from a mom :)
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 1:32 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• "women who stay at home really don't make a difference in every day society"
    ---ignorant

"raising kids doesn't change the world."
    ---you can be a shitty parent and raise criminals, or be good parents and raise that cancer doctor

"women used to be forced to stay at home and now they can do anything"
    ---Exactly. I make the choice to be home

"women who stomp on the old norms of what a woman is supposed to do change the world"
    ---just b/c a woman is a sahm, doesn't mean she follows "old norms", that's just ignorant in your thinking

"a woman doctor researching a cure for cancer and still makes it home to have dinner with her family changes the world"
    ---but the mom who volunteers at her child's school, or in the community isn't making a difference?

Working or not, mom or dad, we all make a difference. Question is, what's your influence?
    boobarandbell

Answer by boobarandbell at 1:46 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I'm sure all SAH Parents make a difference, not just moms. Single Dads and SAHDs are out there making a dent in their children's lives as well.

In the poster, they are referring to the workforce getting all ideas from all points of view, not just male or old, but all levels.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 1:22 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Absolutely. I am raising my child to be a good person who will be of value to society. I am working full-time with the most IMPORTANT person that I know...my son. I can think of nothing more important or beneficial than raising my own child. Even if I only end up making a huge difference to one person, that's enough for me. Anyone who thinks I'm not making enough difference in the world can kiss it! :)
    LovingSAHMommy

• Judging by how our society has gone downhill since SAHM's became the minority, I would say YES, they do make a difference.
    corbysmom531

Answer by corbysmom531 at 1:56 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Raising your children to be productive members of society is the most important thing you can do!!! How is that NOT making a difference in the world?!?

Anon, you suck.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 3:27 PM on Feb. 9, 2011