DD#1 is sick, DD#2 will be born on 15th by c-sect (if not sooner!) - concerns about DD#2 getting sick...

It started with Daddy, he came home with a nasty cold and eventually spread it to me & then I spread it to DD#1. I'm over it, minus a slight cough & tiny bit of conjestion... but DD#1, although in great spirits all the time, has been battling AWFUL conjestion on & off for a couple of weeks. Some days she's a snot faucet, some days she's fine. I'm just afraid of bringing newborn DD#2 home and having her catch RSV or something because of all of us being sick. How do I prevent DD#2 from getting sick? Do I quarantine her in a room until we're all better??

MamaLisa1976

Asked by MamaLisa1976 at 1:21 PM on Feb. 9, 2011 in Health

• take #1 to the doctor and explain your concerns and at least see if there's anything they can do to help get her better quicker.
    macks_mommy

Answer by macks_mommy at 1:27 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Nursing will really help that. They are also born with your (crap, what's the technical word for germ fighters?) whatever, so she will be protected for the first couple weeks.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 1:27 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Wash your hands frequently, make sure everyone that touches DD2 have washed their hands as well. Wipe down everything with Clorox Everyday Spray (you don't even have to wipe it off, just let it air dry). Make sure your home is really clean; bathrooms and kitchen especially.

I had my youngest 6 weeks early, he was in the NICU and came home in the middle of January. I was really concerned with 4 other kids in the house and 3 different schools. I did the above, and he was fine. You just have to be meticulous :)
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 1:35 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• First, if you already had the cold virus, you already built up an immune to it. And so has baby, who is still in that belly. So she will be born with some immunity to it. Also, yes, breastfeeding helps as well.
    But as for what you could do, sanitize, sanitize, sanitize. Get some Lysol wipes, or whatever antibacterial you use, and wipe down the house. Door knobs, window sills, the works.
    Take your DD#1 to the Dr, and make sure its only the cold, not an infection. Ask what you can give her.
    Always wash your hands and DDs, constantly during the day.
    And i would just ask your pediatrician if there is anything else you can do to prevent your newborn from being sick.
    Good luck with your c section... If it's your first, don't be scared, you'll be ok. I had one too. If it's your second, you know what's coming up, and I wish you a healthy and fast recovery!!
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 1:40 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Thank you all. Yes it's my 2nd c-sect... unfortunately last time DD1's cord got tied in a knot so it was an emergency after 8 hrs of pushing with no-go. I had the option for VBAC this time but I chose c-sect because part of the problem they thought before the bad stuff went down was that they thought my pelvis was too small to pass her. So I'd rather just not bother with the dangers of VBAC this time and just have another C. It wasn't so bad last time for me, at all, except them pushing on my belly in the recovery room - that was the MOST AGONIZING pain I've ever been through. :(
    Anyway... yes DD#1 has been to the doc and he's prescribed her an antihistamine - she's mostly just really conjested some days and occasionally has a cough. I keep thinking she's getting better but then it turns on me again. :P I guess I'll need a MAID to clean my house for me in the coming weeks, I won't be able to get around so well after the C.
    MamaLisa1976

Comment by MamaLisa1976 (original poster) at 4:25 PM on Feb. 9, 2011