What to do with a hard headed teenage daughter??

jandcwyatt2003

Asked by jandcwyatt2003 at 1:23 PM on Feb. 9, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• Lay down the law mama! Take no crap from her- remind her of the house rules & reinforce the rules as often as necesssary. Be strong & consistent. This is no time to be her friend- be her parent. GL- these are turbulant years.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 1:27 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• well, more description would help so i could better answer the question. But if your teen daughter is getting a little out of control i always say...Community Service!! Sign her up for an hour or so after school to help out in a soup kitchen, retirement home, or at a vets office, or a homeless shelter or animal shelter. Not only will she think this is punishment at first, it will keep her out of trouble and she might actually end up liking to do it, see how lucky she is to be where she is at, appreciate what she has, the value of hard work and applying herself in the world and hey she might actually get some better ideas of who she is, what she wants to do in her life and later on down the road when she is applying for colleges and jobs, it always looks good that she gave back to the community. Good luck!
    Bobbysgurl

Answer by Bobbysgurl at 1:29 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I try so hard. I'm a good mom and a strict mom. I don't understand what I did wrong for her to talk to me so terrible at times. I didn't raise any of my children to treat and disrespect adults.
    jandcwyatt2003

Comment by jandcwyatt2003 (original poster) at 1:31 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I agree with mrsmom110! Lay down the law!!!
    Remember the lines from Little mermaid when the lobster said "Teenagers,give them a inch and they swim all over you"
    Well that applies,don't give in stand your ground. She may not understand today but she will love you for it when she is grown.
    loriec

Answer by loriec at 1:33 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I'd need some details.
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 1:33 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• She is 17 and a Senior....She is on Varsity Cheer and plays softball. She is a good kid, but geez her mouth is unbelievable. Her father is and has really never been around. I just feel I am all she has and have done everything for her....Why doesn't she see that? Sorry, I'm just having a bad day. Between her and my 19 year old son....He moved to Montana to live with my mom to get away from some bad influences....he comes home for Christmas and stays. Now he has no job, hasn't registered for college classes! All he wants to do is hang out with his friends.
    jandcwyatt2003

Comment by jandcwyatt2003 (original poster) at 1:35 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• OP,it's not that you aren't a strict mom or a good mom I am sure you are a great mom. But teen's go through stages,also she might be getting influenced by teens who are allowed to do that to their mom. It's sad some people just don't slap the taste out of a bad mouthing kid. They are so worried about whether it's cruel or abusive. But the bible said "Spare the rod,spoil the child".We as parents let the law of the land do just that. And now there are uncontrollable children who turn into teens.
    loriec

Answer by loriec at 1:37 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Mom do you think she has some sort of underlining resentment towards you?
    loriec

Answer by loriec at 1:39 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I know...I feel I should of been stricter when they were little. They really weren't that bad then. Even though most of the time I was a single mom and in a bad marriage. It just drives me crazy. My 20 year old is amazing, My step daughter is a good kid too....They have and would never treat me bad or disrespect me. My step son is 17 and he is a handful at times and big headed, we have gotten into it here and there, but he would never ever talk to me like my other two. My 14 year old is my baby and I'm scared that she is gonna get bad vibes from the other two. It's hard. I'm 37 and have been a mom since I was 16. I guess i'm kinda tired...lol
    jandcwyatt2003

Comment by jandcwyatt2003 (original poster) at 1:42 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• To be honest I wouldn't even know what resentment she would have towards me. Maybe, cuz her dad is so messed up....I do everything for her...I pay her cell phone I give her money when she asks.
    jandcwyatt2003

Comment by jandcwyatt2003 (original poster) at 1:43 PM on Feb. 9, 2011