Is $12 an hour, full time a livable wage where you live?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:36 PM on Feb. 9, 2011 in Money & Work

• It depends on what you're used to. Can you live on that? Yes. Would it be easy? No, but you could make it depending on how many people you had to support with that. I live in Raleigh NC and I know there are less expensive areas of town to live in than where my house is located.

Answer by missanc at 1:38 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• To support myself, my husband, and my son...nope.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 1:39 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Yes..if your single ..can be done if ur single with a kid but would be tight and would have to find cheap housing.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 1:39 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• as supplement income yes
    ramajil

Answer by ramajil at 1:41 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Not really. We don't have a state income tax, but everything is taxed to the max, utilities are high, groceries are outrageous, and despite the economy, prices are going up, not down.
    wishbearmom

Answer by wishbearmom at 1:41 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Only if someone is single and lives w/ parents or has a roommate or 2.

In the area where we live people rent a room out of their home for the cost of what some area charge for a 1 bedroom apt.

virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 1:42 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• DH works for $10 hr and has to support the 4 of us. We barely make it but we do it without assistance. So...12 dollars an hour would make things more comfortable. I lost my job in September and our income dropped more than in half. I have been struggling to find another job.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 1:45 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Hubby makes $12.50 an hour working 40 hours a week. We do get FS, wic, and medicaid for the kids. With his pay, we can just barely afford our mortgage, utilities and gas in the vehicles. If we have a month where taxes, house insurance or car insurance is due, it gets REALLY tight. We're hoping he can get a raise sometime this year (he just started this job the end of September). If he does that will help out a little.
    LorisChar

Answer by LorisChar at 1:53 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• oh, I forgot ot mention that we are a family of 5
    LorisChar

• Yes
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 1:53 PM on Feb. 9, 2011