New mattress every 8 years?

So, the big thing to scare people into a purchase is to advertise all the dust mites and body oils that accumulate in your mattress. The commercial goes on to say that, because of these issues, you should replace your mattress every 8 years.  OK, now that they've "scared" the viewer (or not, lol) not to mention grossed them out, they want you to come in and try out the new Tempurpedic mattress.  And, wait for it...it comes with a 20 year warranty!!!  REALLY????

Does anyone else find this hilarious?  LMAO!

specialwingz

Asked by specialwingz at 1:47 PM on Feb. 9, 2011 in Just for Fun

• LMAO You know I've seen that same infomercial and never caught that little fact until you pointed it out. And it is hilarious!!

What about us folks that routinely buy and keep mattress protectors PLUS mattress toppers on our mattresses.... still 8 years right?? LOL I but a new mattress when I determine I need one.
    ShelbyShareAlot

Answer by ShelbyShareAlot at 2:02 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• LOL! This is hilarious! I'd missed it in the ad.

Answer by Bmat at 1:48 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Honestly, I'm not trying to be a smartass, but I am not understanding what is funny. The bit about mites and oils is true, and it's also true that most traditional mattresses wear out (springs) in approximately 8 years. Our old mattresses (which were a nice brand name) certainly weren't providing the same support after we'd had them about 10 years as they did when they were new.

And yes, the Tempurpedic is supposed to last about 20 years. It does not have springs that wear out. It also comes with a special covering to prevent things from becoming embedded into the mattress.

Was there something funny that went over my head? I can be obtuse like that at times, lol.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 1:50 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Lol...that's why I'd rather get my vacuum and suck up some of those pest in bedded in the mattress it help somewhat right?
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 1:51 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Okay, I think I get it. You're talking about the oils and whatnot getting into the mattress after 8 years, and then expecting to use a Tempurpedic for 20 years? All right, I admit, that is kind of funny. But again, the Tempurpedic comes with a cover that is supposed to prevent that.
    Sorry I didn't understand the irony the first time. Doh!
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 1:54 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I have a latex mattress that can last 30 years. All you need is to have a good cover like Protect-A-Bed that nothing will pass through. http://www.qvc.com/qic/qvcapp.aspx/view.2/app.detail/params.item.H83570.desc.ProtectABed-Waterproof-Cotton-Terry-Mattress-Protector-King

JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 2:37 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I can't imagine spending that kind of money that often. Definitely wash your mattress cover and replace it often, but the whole mattress?! Unless the springs are broken or the support isn't there anymore I can't see buying a new one.
    wishbearmom

Answer by wishbearmom at 1:56 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Thanks for the downvote.
    I swear, some people...
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 1:59 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I vaccum mine often. But I just got rid of my bed that I have had for 17 years, same mattress and it was still comfortable. If it aint broke don't fix it. JMO.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 2:00 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Yeah, we use a mattress cover that gets washed once a week and replaced a couple times per year. Our mattress is a $1500 double-pillow, silk side for summer and wool side for winter. Not to mention the most comfortable one we've ever slept on. I'm not ready to spend that kind of money again quite yet.
    specialwingz

Comment by specialwingz (original poster) at 2:02 PM on Feb. 9, 2011