We all know smoking cigarrettes is horrible so why don't "they" take them off the market?

Cocaine used to be legal right along with other drugs. They banned those so why don't they ban cigarrettes?
By the way, I'm a smoker so I'm not hating, just curious.

Aquarius80

Asked by Aquarius80 at 1:50 PM on Feb. 9, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Because "they" make money off of them! "they " also get kick backs from drug companies and the medical industry when something goes wrong with "you" for smoking them.

It's a whole cycle. Until "they" stop caring about money "they" won't care if you live or die.
    meandrphoto

Answer by meandrphoto at 1:57 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• The tobacco industry is enormous and powerful. And do you have any idea how much the government makes from sales taxes on alcohol and tobacco?!!!
    wishbearmom

Answer by wishbearmom at 1:54 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Because they're a legal form of income. Our government doesn't REALLY care if they're good for you or not... they just care about taxing the crap out of them. We can make them and distribute them right here in the U.S. It's a win-win situation for "them".
    Anonymous

• Lobbyists.

IMO, people are capable of making choices about what substances they put into their body.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 1:53 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• The gov't. knows that cigs are a cash cow ~ that is why they aren't banned. You can bet that if all of the public bans cause enough people to quit and drop that income they WILL be looking for something to replace it (they are already starting on junk food, fast food, salt, etc.). Gubmint doesn't care about your HEALTH, it cares about more MONEY.

Others have already mentioned transfats, cars, etc. The FDA approves chemicals all the time that are proven to cause harm and a great deal of it is in our food. The people that do pay attention or question that are called quacks (doctors) or told to get a tinfoil hat (citizens).

I smoke, I have ecigs (and make my own juice), grow tobacco (don't add 1000's of chemicals!!). I also grow/raise my own food and process it myself. I live in the boonies and rarely drive. My xrays don't show smoker's lungs. cont.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 2:10 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Do you remember learning about the prohibition act? How crazy things got? Maybe thats why? idk lol...can u picture Al Capone types doing under ground sales of cigarettes? LOL
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 1:52 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• cont. ~ I personally question whether smoking is as bad as is claimed (or if it's just the added chemicals). I question how much of what is claimed comes instead from vehicles and the chemicals in things like food, cleaning supplies, the gunk in carpets and upholstery, etc.

In the end, this is America and we ARE free to make choices (and do the research). Prohibition on alcohol didn't work, and the black market cigs would not generate profit for the gubmint ... so it's not likely they will ban cigs outright. Someone mentioned dropping insurance, but there is not one medical study that actually proves cigs are to blame (except when a person already has an illness cigs make it worse). So do fireplaces, perfume, exhaust, etc.

Personally I believe it is all the other chemicals/pollution, not cigs. I chose to eliminate the other chemicals and smoke. I'm healthy and comfortable with my choices (except for those pesky bans).
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 2:15 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• If they take them off the market then the same thing will happen with them that has with any other illegal drug, theyd be sold by dealers. People would sneak them in from other countries as well. Second, the Govt is making alot of money off taxing smokers and if they were to make that illegal then theyd have to tax other things like fast food, coke, candy etc and then the masses would cry foul very loud. Right now they are just taxing one item and affecting the population who choose to smoke, so most people think its ok to do because it isnt something that have to pay a tax on themselves.

Answer by gemgem at 1:55 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Yesterday, a dear friend of ours died of cancer, caused by smoking. 3 yrs ago, we lost 3 people we loved in an 8 wk period to lung cancer, all smokers.

I would love it if cigarettes were banned, but we have a problem. There are lots of things we know are bad for us, but in this country we have freedom to do as we wish. We know that eating fast foods is bad for us, should they ban all fast foods? We know that if we drive cars that pollute the air it's bad for us. Can we ban all cars that cause pollution? I could go on w/ that list.

What we need to do, is not pay for the medical care of people who choose to smoke, we need to make them responsible for themselves. I think insurance companies should have the right to cancel insurance of smokers. I know that's harsh, but maybe if people have to take responsibility for their own choices, they'll make better choices.

I'll already miss Bill. Who will you miss? Who will miss you?
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 1:59 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Then they'd also have to eliminate half the stuff you can buy at the grocery store, & close down all the fast food restaurants! (Besides, the US has profitted by the multi-billion dollar lawsuit settlement w/t he tobbaco companies. Tobacco farmers wouldnt like the idea either- they have a strong voice as well. Sorry my dear, you'll have to find another way to quit. Try the E-cigs. I know it's not easy- but GL :)
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 1:54 PM on Feb. 9, 2011