Fighting over a Will/Estate

have you gone through this? how did it turn out? was it nasty?

Didn't know what category to put this one under! so chose relationships.

sarasmommy777

Asked by sarasmommy777 at 2:00 PM on Feb. 9, 2011 in Relationships

• yes i have and had a good friend that left me some land and money when i saw what it was doing to the family i said take it all i want nothing to do with your dirty blood money
    cnoble927

Answer by cnoble927 at 2:03 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Yes, it was nasty. My husband's family.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 2:02 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• If there is a Will, then get your own attorney if necessary to make sure your rights are protected. I have seen estates handled beautifully & have seen them get brutal. Some people can be seen at their worst at this difficult time. It's sad really. When making out your own will, ask your attorney about a no- contest clause, so if anyone tries to cause problems, or contest the will, they get nothing! GL
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 2:06 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• It can absolutely get brutal; I've seen it with friends and family members. My SIL's were fighting over my MIL's "estate" and my FIL was still alive!!! The best thing you can do if it starts getting nasty is to have an attorney represent your interests according to the will, or in the case of no will, the laws of the state. (All states have laws governing the division of property if there's no will). The deceased's "wishes" have NOTHING to do with the law, it's up to the last will or the state. (Or you'll end up in a nasty court battle, and lose anyway.)
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 2:16 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• tootoobusy did your husband get what was fair to him out of it?
    sarasmommy777

Comment by sarasmommy777 (original poster) at 2:05 PM on Feb. 9, 2011