My 8 yr old will not get out of bed in the morning without a battle. What would be an appropriate discipline to change this behavior'?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:08 PM on Feb. 9, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I never had trouble that early, but as the Mom of grown sons..I can tell you that glass marbles kept in the freezer make for a rude awakening when rolled into a bed against warm skin. Their alarms went off, I called them ONCE. I only had to roll marbles into each ones bed once. They knew I wasn't folling and I would do it. I did take the baggie into my youngests room one morning when he was being stubborn. One shjake of that bag and his butt jumped out of the bed. Mean? Perhaps..but I wasn't going to start every day with a war.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 2:13 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• i think an incentive would be better. I remember my kids used to bound out of bed so they could watch Pokemon.
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 2:18 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• GrnEyed- I like that idea. I will have to remember that one!
    meandrphoto

Answer by meandrphoto at 2:19 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• lol GrnEyed..that IS an awesome idea..my son is only two...but if he is like his daddy id better be going to buy some marbles tonight! Thanks so much! Hmm..i wonder how it works on husbands :)
    Bobbysgurl

Answer by Bobbysgurl at 2:27 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• She might still be tired. When my 7 yr old goes to bed early, she'll wake up and get up because she's bored form lying there.When she goes to bed later at night it's a pain in the morning. I kinda roll her around a little and try to get her up. Otherwise I tickle her or make silly songs up. You can make getting up and getting ready a game or race. Kids like winning and games sometimes. to be honest though that cold marble idea from GrnEyedGrandma is one I think i'll put into use on those tougher days when i feel like I have a teen instead of a 7 yr old lol.
    istealcookies

Answer by istealcookies at 2:28 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Let me know if you find the solution because my 7 year old son gives me trouble every morning too. He likes school but hates to get up in the morning.
    Jerseymom1228

Answer by Jerseymom1228 at 2:35 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• If possible, send him to bed earlier. If he whines/complains about it, tell him because he has trouble getting up in the morning you have to send him to bed earlier. If you wish you can then give him another shot - where he gets 2 or 3 days to prove he can get up without a problem, or just flat out start with the earlier bedtime. Tell him after 1 or 2 birthdays maybe you can switch it back.
    Anonymous

• I would say to start with sending her to bed earlier. If she still gives you a tough time, keep sending her to bed earlier, but start the wake-up routine earlier too so that she has time to transition to being awake. It's not my 8 year old daughter that I have an issue with, it's my 5 year old son. He doesn't like to be woken up, he wants to wake up on his own (when he's good and ready). He's pretty mean first thing in the morning too. He'll say things like "How many times have I told you not to wake me up?" I just remind him that on Saturday and Sunday I WON'T wake him up, that he has to go to school, and then I leave him alone for a few minutes. When he comes out I give him a big hug and he usually snaps out of it. My daughter is an early riser and is usually up before me.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 4:40 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Just start picking stuff up in her room and say 'ok, grounded from whatever toyor whatever you pick up" find her fav sweatshirt or jeans and say "this is mine for the week'.......keep taking until she is on her feet.
    Ihatelaundry

Answer by Ihatelaundry at 7:14 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• What time does he/she got to bed at night? That would be my first adjustment. I have 5 kids (3 in school) and have found the only time I've had issues with them getting out of bed (mostly just my oldest who is 10 now) was when their bedtime was too late or they were staying up past bedtime screwing around. At 8 their bedtime was 7pm. If they were acting fussy/cranky then they went to bed earlier since they were obviously tired. If they continued to cause issues in the morning then they could go to bed earlier. I couldn't force them to sleep but they had to lay in their bed with the lights off until they fell asleep.
    We tried my oldest with an 8pm bedtime at 9 and she was late to school 4 times in the first 2 weeks of school so her bedtime went back to 7pm like her 7yo and 3yo sisters. Her brother was 8 and had no problem getting up so kept the 8pm time.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:27 AM on Feb. 10, 2011