SCALLOPED POTATOES

Do ya make this? do ya have an easy recipe? I tried to "wing" it once and it turned out in a disaster. It is easy right?

sarasmommy777

Asked by sarasmommy777 at 2:20 PM on Feb. 9, 2011 in Food & Drink

• I take thin slices of potatoes, layered in a greased casserole dish. Sprinkle with desired amount of red onions finely chopped, sprinkled with parmesian cheese, salt and pepper to taste. pour in heavy cream and top with cheddar cheese. Bake at 350 until done.
    Iluvmy5

Answer by Iluvmy5 at 2:45 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I slice the potatoes really thin and put them in a greased casserole dish. Then on the stove I make milk (or milk and cheese sauce if you wish) starting with a roux (melted butter to which flour is added), and then gradually whisking in milk until it thickens. I usually add a little chopped onion with the flour. Salt and pepper to taste. Pour sauce over potatoes and bake uncovered at 350 for 60-75 min. untll potatoes are tender. To make it pretty you can top with a little shredded cheese the last 5 min. of baking.
    wishbearmom

Answer by wishbearmom at 2:29 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• 4 cups thinly sliced potatoes
    3 tablespoons butter
    3 tablespoons flour
    1 1/2 cups milk
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 dash cayenne pepper
    1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
    1/2 cup grated cheese, to sprinkle on top
    paprika

In a small sauce pan, melt butter and blend in flour. Let sit for a minute. Add all of cold milk, stirring with a whisk. Season with salt and cayenne.Cook sauce on low until smooth and boiling, stirring occasionally with a whisk. Reduce heat and stir in cheese.Place a half of the sliced potatoes in a lightly greased one quart casserole dish. Pour half of cheese sauce over potatoes.Repeat with second layer of potatoes and cheese sauce.# Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top.Top with some paprika for color. Bake uncovered for about 1 hour at 350F.

You can use whatever cheese and seasonings you would like.

mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 2:33 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Im not so sure its easy, haha. It seems to take some time if making in from scratch. I make it regularly but I also have a large family so meals are huge, nothing is easy :) I have to use an entire 10 lb bag of potatoes for just 1 dinner. I cant give you exact measurements because I pretty much wing it but here is my recipe. It def a family favorite

use a 13x9 casserole dish
    peeled sliced potatoes to just about fill the dish
    about 1/2 cup diced yellow onion mixed in

sauce
    1 stick of butter
    1/2 cup flour
    milk
    salt and pepper
    Browned butter

Brown the butter in a skillet
    wisk in flour ( will be very thick)
    begin adding milk a cup at a time and wisk in until you have a thick gravy consistancy( may take several cups)
    add pepper and salt to taste. A little extra salty is good because the potatoes will absorb a ton.
    You can add cheese at this point if you like, we prefer it plain.
    po
    heatherduve

Answer by heatherduve at 2:42 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• These are really rich and delicious, and so easy to make.
    Scalloped Potatoes
    2-3 large baking potatoes or 6 medium potatoes (about 2 ½ lbs.)
    1-2 cups heavy cream
    Optional:2 cups shredded cheese (cheddar, Swiss, Havarti, Munster)
    Seasoned Salt & pepper
    Preheat oven to 375. Peel potatoes, and slice in half lengthwise. Cut in thin crosswise slices. Place in a buttered baking dish. Layer potato slices in bottom of dish; sprinkle with just a little salt & pepper. Continue layering and seasoning. Pour enough heavy cream to cover potatoes. Cover and bake for 30 minutes or until potatoes are almost tender. Remove cover and cook for 15 more minutes or until potatoes are tender and beginning to brown.
    To make these with cheese: when half of potatoes are layered, top with 1 cup shredded cheese any kind (cheddar, Swiss, Havarti or removed, top with 1 cup more cheese. More cream may be added at this time if potatoes appear dry
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 7:50 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• yeah i do from the box
    brieri

Answer by brieri at 8:52 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• thnx ladies!
    sarasmommy777

Comment by sarasmommy777 (original poster) at 2:34 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• your recipe is easy lluvmy5 the making the roux with flour was scaring me in the other recipes even tough they sound so good.
    sarasmommy777

Comment by sarasmommy777 (original poster) at 2:52 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Yes, I use the box recipe.
    free1

Answer by free1 at 10:38 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• seriously unless you have a mandolin don't bother tryin to slice the pots thin enough is horrible
    Amanda11810

Answer by Amanda11810 at 8:24 AM on Feb. 10, 2011