Complaint Against your Daycare Provider

Recently a family pulled her 2 children out of my providers care and filed a complaint against her license also.. My provider stated it was because the mother was upset she didn't take the kids out daily... which is state law however its Minnesota and for the last 3 weeks has been mountains of snow and below freezing weather.. also the mother and provider had been dealing together with some behavioral issues the 4 year old daughter has been having and it wasn't going well... This is not wrong of me is it?? I trust my provider however, I feel it would be irresponsible not to at least check in to the complaint... what do you think??

maxsmom11807

Asked by maxsmom11807 at 2:25 PM on Feb. 9, 2011 in General Parenting

• I am a licensed daycare provider too. If she is licensed, you should have full access to her file, including any complaints.

I think it is always a good idea, as a parent, to check into anything that you are feeling uneasy about. However, if there were behavior issues, possible payment issues, etc with this family, then take that into consideration too. I know a lot of state require the kids to be outside for a certain number of hours each day, but have an exception for certain weather conditions. Its possible that your provider was trying not to drag you into any issues they had, so she gave you an easy answer.

If you find a complaint history, look into the reason behind the complain and give your provider a chance to explain before you pull your kids out. ~ I have a complaint on my file, but once you know the reason behind it, you know how silly it really is. I would hope parents would ask me before making a judgement.
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 2:41 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• +If your kids go to the same provider, then I think it is your duty to check up on it. It is for the safety of the children.

krissyvelazquez

Answer by krissyvelazquez at 2:45 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• It is better to be safe than sorry. ALWAYS check out any negative or suspicious feelings you may be having regarding the person caring for your child! I place abused and neglected children for CPS and can't tell you HOW many times parent's wish they had followed their intuition.
    Did you figure out how to check for the specific violation?
    BaileysMom476

Answer by BaileysMom476 at 2:46 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Check it out. I think you'll feel better when you do. Your provider's explanation makes sense, but it seems strange that someone would file a complaint over not taking the kids out in the freezing weather and snow. It sounds like the parent was probably pretty angry about the other issues, which might not be reportable.  If the complaint only mentions the lack of outdoor time, then it's a pretty good guess that the parent was just angry, but whatever she was angry about wasn't something that violated any laws or regulations.  I think it would be ok to ask your provider for more details too.

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 2:47 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• It may be possible that the provider could not deal with the child having the problems and the parent was let go, got mad, and made a complaint. Maybe the provider is trying to not bad talk the parent, but there is no privacy issues here, legally, and your provider can tell you, in some aspects, the reasons.

Similar situation happened to me. I had to let go a family after several incidents and warnings of their kids being destuctive and behavioral probelms . The final straw was when the mother picked up, had a bad day, and yelled at the other kids i cared for. That was it. I was not about to subject the kids i care for to that. They were mad, tried to bad mouth me. I kept detailed documentation though, and read some to one parent when they were concerned about what they heard. They knew the parents too, and once they heard the real reason, understood, as the lady was a hothead, and eveyone knew it.
    Anonymous

• Well the state found 9 violations against my old daycare when my (at the time) toddler fell on the playground and fractured her arm (requiring a cast) -- The daycare did not even call me OR file a report. I took her to the emergency room after I picked her up. So ALWAYS ALWAYS check out ANY concerns thoroughly with daycares. Where there is smoke, there is generally fire!
    BaileysMom476

Answer by BaileysMom476 at 3:21 PM on Feb. 9, 2011