Cloth diapers the latest fad

Some ppl we know will be using cloth diapers. I do not have or know many ppl who are doing this but have read that it is the latest fad among new mothers. I understand that they are helping create less trash for the land fill and are better for the environment.

But on the other hand if you use some daycares they are not allowed to use them due to the inability to properly clean them after being dirtied. What are the Pros and Cons of using cloth diapers, other than the obivous reason of being more green?

Aries46845

Asked by Aries46845 at 2:38 PM on Feb. 9, 2011 in General Parenting

• I chose not to cloth diaper, it didn't even cross my mind. Disposable are more expensive, and they aren't the best for the environment, but the convenience far outweighed any negative for my family and myself. Rinsing and washing them everyday is a hassle - no way would I wash them with regular clothes. They are not portable (you have to carry dirty diapers around with you until you can get them home! Yuck!!)
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 2:41 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I am babysitting twins that are using them. She bought a big pack for $250 compared to $50 a week for reg. diapers. For anyone who is willing to take a little extra time to save some money it's a good idea.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 2:46 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I didnt know it was a fad. I used them with my oldest because she was allergic to the plastic that was used in most diapers. If I even tried to use disposable she would break out. They had a diaper service then and many many moms used them instead of disposable diapers. If I had to choose though I always went with disposables.

Answer by gemgem at 2:52 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I used them but I was a SAHM. I did use disposable when we were out of town, though.
    Aquarius80

Answer by Aquarius80 at 2:59 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Lest waste, lower cost, less rashes. It works for me as my kids do not go to daycare. But my sister in law plans on using cloth, and here soon I will be watching my nieces while she and my brother are at work, and I plan on just using cloth with the baby.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 6:20 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Pros: less expensive in the long run than disposables, you can use them on other children or resell them, less waste in the landfill, healthier on baby's bum, no weird chemical smell, way cuter

Cons: more laundry, need to get the poop off the diapers once the baby is on solids (though some people just wash as is - I rinse in the toilet and have a pair of gloves in a container for that purpose)
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 10:24 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I think cloth diapers are too expensive, too complicated and there aren't any trustworthy places to buy them and the accessories. I don't trust buying online from any ole website. And they are just too expensive of an investment if you are not sure you want to do it. You wouldn't buy a $100 breast pump unless you are sure to use it. I hope 1 of you cloth diapering experts will message me with answers to my concerns. I believe I would be the perfect candidate for cloth diapering since I have a non-potty trained 2 year old, a 7 month old, and a baby on the way.
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 10:11 AM on Feb. 10, 2011