Would you use high speed rail?

Do you think it would end up being another massive subsidized program like Amtrak? If it has such potential then why hasn't the private sector jumped on it?

Carpy

Asked by Carpy at 2:40 PM on Feb. 9, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I've used it in Europe. It's amazing.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 2:41 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Nope. And this is not really a neeeeeeed. No money honey ;)
    momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 2:41 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• There's been talk of a high speed rail project from Las Vegas to somewhere in southern CA for some time now. There are loads of people who drive the most dangerous stretch of highway in the country on the I-15 all the time, and I'm sure some of them would be interested in high speed rail. I don't know if I would personally, although we do take that drive a dozen or so times a year.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 2:42 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• it makes me think of Blair. And therefore freaks me out. Even though, admittedly, Mr. King forced the ending badly.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 2:45 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I have no need to use it

Answer by gemgem at 2:47 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I've used the TGV.... I prefer to drive my OWN car on my OWN time frame.... I don't like being on trips with other random people..  Also, what happens to the auto industry that were too big too fail, if high speed rail were to enter the scene....

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 2:47 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• No money to fund but it would create jobs. I was hoping California would consider it (there were talks but not sure where it went). My nephew is in the film industry and would benefit greatly from traveling to L.A. from S.F.

I'd use it to visit my son in college or have him come home for a short weekend visit.

parrishsky

Answer by parrishsky at 2:49 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• 53B to GE for this project is what I understand. Who gets to be the lucky ones losing their land to eminent domain in the construction process?

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2011-02-08/obama-budget-seeks-53-billion-for-high-speed-rail.html

The motors are American made in Schenectady, that's the only good thing I see here.

jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 2:49 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Me personally.

Yes I would use it. I have experienced the rail systems in Japan, Europe and S.Korea. I loved them. Also, I do not own a car, have not in over 20 years. I live in a city with a great train system/bus system/street car system (yes we have all 3), so I have no need for a car. A high speed rail system that connected my city to other cities would be something that I would not only use quite a bit, I would greatly enjoy it as well.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 2:50 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Probably not. I use my vehicle to travel for work during the day, home visits & community meetings, so i really need it. Plus i pick up and drop off at preschool so I am not sure how that would work on a train...it's not like i could walk 4y DS from the train station to preschool in -7 degrees (like today) if it was more than a block.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 2:51 PM on Feb. 9, 2011