School uniforms???

I know alot of schools already have passed to wear uniforms, especially private ones. My question is do you think this would "help" with bullying in the school system . I personally think it would. It would also make it alot easier on parents. Anyone agree?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:42 PM on Feb. 9, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• It doesn't really help with bullying. What helps with bullying are kids that are taught how to be respectful coupled with attentive teachers. It does make school clothes purchasing much easier (my kids both wear uniforms for school).
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 2:46 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• It is supposed to help kids concentrate on the education (by preventing distractions of the new Dora shoes someone got) not exactly prevent bullying. There are other things to bully about than clothing, like names or hair color or wearing glasses etc.
    dragonqueen

Answer by dragonqueen at 2:45 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• It does make it easier on parents' my kids had uniforms (public school), and in our new district, one has a code the other doesn't. i had to buy DD a lot of new clothes - and I go through the "what am I going to wear" hassle every morning :) I think it does help a little with bullying; but at the end of the day bullies will be bullies about anything, if it's not clothes it will be something else. I've noticed that the kids were more into shoes, coats - things that they were able to wear what they wanted.

I like that the kids look uniform, less focus is paid to what people are wearing when everyone looks the same. It also makes their attitude about learning a bit better - when you're dressed for success it's a visual reminder that they aren't playing (wearing jeans).
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 2:47 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• and everyone answered you question by saying NO it wouldnt help with bullying!!! grrrr back!!!!
    Anonymous

• Louisiana has been wearing uniforms for 12 years now. And honestly it doesn't stop a thing. Ppl are going to bully someone regardless if they a wearing a uniform or not. The clothes doesn't change the person. But I do like the uniforms tho because its so much easier picking out what the kids wear that morning. We have a choice between 3 different collared shirts and khaki or blue pants

jbond83

Answer by jbond83 at 2:48 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• It's way easier with uniforms. Financially and getting ready in the morning.
    istealcookies

Answer by istealcookies at 3:00 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• The only thing it helps is stopping the competition for best clothing, and regulating against the trend of teen dressing like street walkers. Im sorry if that offends anyone, but I used to work at a coffee store, by the beach, and you would not believe the things I have seen girls, as young as 11 wearing around. It won't stop bullying, really. But it makes it so much easier on everyone. I wore uniforms for 12 years of my academic career, and i loved it.
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 3:03 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Uniforms are not going to stop bullying, tough consequences are going to stop bullying. Parents not allowing their children to get away with horrible behavior will stop bullying. Parents teaching tolerance, empathy and being different is ok will stop bullying. I went to a Catholic school with strict uniforms and there was still bullying, uniforms made no difference.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 5:28 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• No I don't. I went to a school with uniforms and there was still bullying. We students would push the limit anyway we could to make our uniforms fashionable.
    One of my school chums was really poor and could only afford his uniform, no play clothes. He would be so embarrassed any time anyone saw him in it out of school. Sad.
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 9:00 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• It amazes me how people sit here and apparently read half of the question. I asked did you think it would help not completely solve bullying. Grrrr
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:18 PM on Feb. 9, 2011