Prek and IEP

ok so my dd is 4yo and in prek. ours is a full day twice a week. we just had a meeting and they say she is behind and needs some help in speech, and some gross and fine motor skills. because of this she was able to get into the program 4 days a week full days. this is her first week and i was asking her yesterday if anyone has come to visit her (therapist) at school and helped her with jumping or with talking. she says no. well all the therapist wanted to see her 2 to 3 times a week. imo i think they should use the two extra days that she is there to work with her to help catch her up. is this how they do it or is it more of a random times. in my experience in school i had a set schedule from this time to this time everyday in therapy (speech and math) in elementary but as i grew up and move to several school i found other kids that were in the special ed classes that would just sit there and talk mainly and not doing anything as far as school work. i just dont want these to be treated like ok well we are going ot do something but nothing really happens esp because our insurance is paying the school for the therapies.
i have a conference next week with the teacher but i was just wondering what your guys experience was if your child had an iep in prek.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:43 PM on Feb. 9, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My son is in Pre-K and his therapies were started imediately. If you really want to know what day her therapies are on, just call and ask her teacher. My sons therapies are typically the same day every week but this past week he actually got speech on Monday instead of Thursday, but I get a note sent home on things to work on. If the therapist is coming from outside the school, they probably come the same days each week so they aren't making multiple trips, they could very well be on the days your daughter has always been there.
    austinsmama1106

Answer by austinsmama1106 at 3:59 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• The IEP should be VERY specific - is it written too vaguely or is it not being followed?
    Anonymous

• Your insurance should not be paying for anything provided by the school. If the IEP teams says your DD needs certain services & supports, then it is the school district's responsibility to provide it & they cannot use cost as an excuse not to. Also, typically in the preschool setting services such as ST or OT, etc. may not be provided at the same time each day b/c teachers are typically itinerant & it will depend on what time they get to the school. If this is a therapeutic preschool program, then services may be incorporated directly into instructional time rather than being a separate scheduled time. You need to read your DD's IEP & see what it specifies as far as who, what, where, when & how often regarding your DD's services, then speak to the classroom teacher to find out how the IEP is being implemented.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 2:58 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• The IEP should be very specific...anon is is right about that.
    I would look into bringing an advocate along with you to the meetings.
    My son is having an IEP done now and I have contacted family services to get someone to help me with the process.
    I know a lot about it..but they know more and I feel like if you don't have the upperhand..then for some reason everything that should be or could be done..isn't.
    Have they given you the I.D.E.A book?
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 2:57 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• it was very specific we met with the special ed director teacher physical therapist occupational therapist and speech therapist and we discussed all the tests that were done and findings and what everyones thoughts were. im not sure as to if they are being followed but on the modays and tuesdays they go to the libary well monday she came home with a libary book and i thought ok normal but tuesday she come home with another book and thats when i started to ask if she was getting visitors or going to different class rooms but she said no.
    i was just wondering how and when the iep starts after the meetings. and what your experience with them were.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:54 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• there are two classes monday and wednesday and tuesday and thursday. her normal class was tuesday and thursday but now goes to both.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:56 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• we ALREADY had the meeting. and the iep is already in place. i have all the results from the tests and they are very specific. im talking about the therapy AFTER the meeting and when does it start.
    im sorry i dont feel i need to say what the results were.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:02 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• im sorry i was just a bit overwhelm at the meeting but i have all the paper work on the results and we discuess how often they wanted to see her in with therapy and i know i signed two or three papers and they said something about billing for insurance. i dont know now i have even more questions. guess next week when i see the teacher ill talk to her about it all.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:07 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• bump

sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 3:30 PM on Feb. 9, 2011