Is she peeing in the house cause she doesn't want to go out in the cold?

We have 2 dogs...1 of whom we've trained to ring a bell when she needs to go out.

It's worked like a charm for the last few months except the last few days she keeps going potty in the hall (where she goes to ring the bell).

Do you think she just doesn't want to go outside in the cold? I mean, it is -7 with the windchill today...

UpSheRises

Asked by UpSheRises at 2:48 PM on Feb. 9, 2011 in Pets

• It could be and it can also be age related. Is the dog older? I know our dog started having more accidents as he got older. The doctor told us it is the same as an old man really lol. They can get senile or just lose bladder control. If youre worried though it wouldnt hurt to get the dog looked at. Maybe its a kidney issue.

Answer by gemgem at 2:50 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Could be the temp. We had a dog start going in the house like that and turned out to be kidney issues. I bet it is your temp though. That is cold. lol
    tiddliwinks

Answer by tiddliwinks at 2:51 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• No she's just a puppy...almost 7 months.

I am going to ask when she goes in a few weeks for her last set of shots but i think it's just the cold. She a boston terrier, not really a snow breed i guess.
    UpSheRises

Comment by UpSheRises (original poster) at 2:53 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• more than likely because i have a chihuahua puppy and she hates going outside but she love to go for rides if i leave he house so your dog proly just dont want to go outside
    TeenMommy2012

Answer by TeenMommy2012 at 2:54 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• My mom's jack russel will hold it for the entire day when it is cold or rainy. I would have her checked for a UTI. My girl dogs get these. If she does have a UTI, after the perscription, you can give her cranberry pills from now on to keep her from getting another one.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 3:10 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Is she ringing the bell and then peeing (maybe you're not getting to her soon enough to let her out) or going straight to the spot and just squatting? If the area is carpetted, have you cleaned the spot thoroughly with an enzamatic cleaner? I agree with having her checked for UTI.
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 3:48 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• As far as i can tell she's just going to the spot and peeing. Our house isn't that big so it's unlikely that i'm not hearing the bell but I can't rule it out...everybody gets busy sometimes. Luckily it's not carpeted, we have hardwood throughout.

I should have mentioned that she's a hermaphrodite and the Dr said the "obstruction" may cause some potty issues, but everything has been going okay so far. I guess we'd better talk to the Dr again.

UpSheRises

Comment by UpSheRises (original poster) at 3:54 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Yes it is too cold outside. Do you dress her in clothes. I dress mine in two sweaters and carry her out in my coat and stay with her. It encourages her to stay out so I will be proud of her and give her a treat!
    vernalea

Answer by vernalea at 5:50 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• sounds like you answered your own question, the obstruction is causing issues. maybe till the obstruction is taking care get her some doggy diapers? or maybe use an iside potty system?
    IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 6:16 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• Dog is goign threw a state. I would put the dog on a leash when he/she usually needs to go out and wait till they dothier business or just put them out when you think they need to go. Watch them and when they go let them back in.
    Baby4us09

Answer by Baby4us09 at 2:20 PM on Feb. 13, 2011