My 2 year old refuses to go to sleep until after midnight. What can I do to change her sleep habbits?

heidit1984

Asked by heidit1984 at 3:06 PM on Feb. 9, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Use a reward chart. I did this when my daughter was 2 cause she wouldnt stay in bed. Worked all the way for me took about 2 weeks and then she was staying in bed all night. It had 40 squares if she stayed in bed all night she puts 1 sticker on I gave her a little prize after the 1st week but to get the BIG prize (trip to chuckie cheese) she had to fill all 40.
    I put her to bed at 8:30 but give her a couple of books and some small toys and let her "play" for 20min with the lights off expect hall light and nightlight.
    tomsjennabean

Answer by tomsjennabean at 3:11 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• make her get up at 6 in the morning go about your day like normal and nap time after lunch and not at 3 or 4 in the afternoon then bed by 9. she will be well tired for bed then. just to get her clock back to normal you could try keeping her up all day for one or two days and in bed by 8 or 9 that way she is tired.

not sure what time she is waking up in the morning or what time she goes for a nap but typically when my kids start to do that i do this to kinda "reset" the clock. and it works with us. after a day or two they are back on the normal schedule.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 3:15 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I have tried the sticker reward chart with her and me and my husband both have tried the rewards thing and it hasn't worked. I feel bad because my husband wakes up at 5:30 am every morning and he hardly gets any sleep because our daughter seem to want to just wake him up so he will play. I am so tired because I usually end up in the living room with her until 3:30 every morning.
    heidit1984

Comment by heidit1984 (original poster) at 3:17 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• We get her up at 6 am and she naps for only about 45 minutes during the day, if that. My mom feels that we should have her tested for ADHD. It almost seems like she is afraid that if she goes to sleep that she will miss something. Some days I am just beyond tired and I have to drink lots of caffine to even stay awake, and she is just as wide awake as she could be.
    heidit1984

Comment by heidit1984 (original poster) at 3:24 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Put her in her room at a decent hour and tell her to stay there. If she doesn't put up baby gates in the doorway or continue to take her back to her room. Make sure she doesn't have any toys to play with and it's nice and dark. If she's bored and sees that nothing is happening, she will go to sleep. It may take a few nights of screaming, but she will eventually get that you mean business.

Answer by missanc at 6:55 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I'm going through the same thing with my 2 year old. I agree with missanc, hes been putting up a good fight but hes starting to see that bed time means bedtime no exceptions.
    Superdevon

Answer by Superdevon at 10:14 AM on Feb. 10, 2011