I have an absess (sorry for spelling) in my check and I am in a lot of pain!!!

I went to the ER last night and got medicane, but it is making me not want to eat or drink anything, I am really not hungry but I know the baby needs to eat. Should I force myself to eat and open my mouth or should I just try eating from a staw?

Beccah2

Asked by Beccah2 at 11:23 AM on Nov. 17, 2008 in Pregnancy

• As long as you are getting stuff in your system, you're baby will continue to be nourished. Do what is comfortable for you. Make sure you take your vitamins, and drink stuff like milk, shakes, and smoothies that can keep your belly full for longer periods of time.
    cskomk0106

Answer by cskomk0106 at 11:27 AM on Nov. 17, 2008

• I agree with the previous poster...take your vitamins and eat stuff like shakes, soups, etc.

Also, whenever I've add abcesses, if I gargle with a peroxied/water solution it really helps get rid of the infection quickly and helps with the pain.
    MommaLucy

Answer by MommaLucy at 11:34 AM on Nov. 17, 2008

• You already have meds, but I was going to suggest the same thing as MommaLucy. Peroxide/water works really well. As for eating, I would say if you haven't eaten in a long time, go with a fruit smoothie with protein powder.
    reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 11:40 AM on Nov. 17, 2008

• Contrary to popular belief, you're baby will be fine if you don't eat all the time. My sister had an extreme case of morning sickness - I forget the medical term - but, she went for days at a time not being able to keep anything down. She was put into the hospital a few times for dehydration, but her baby was born healthy just like other women who go through the same things.

Straws are a great way to go. If you're not allergic to peanuts, or lactose intolerant, try this protien shake: a cup of peanut butter, a few ice cubes, a cup of milk, a splash of chocolate syrup, and a tablespoon of dry chocolate pudding mix. Add more milk if it's too thick for the straw.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:42 AM on Nov. 17, 2008

• You have a lot in your body that is going to the baby, whether you are eating or not. It is temporary stores you body makes. Try to eat little snacks... dont' worry about meals.

Good Luck
    charisma10

Answer by charisma10 at 1:15 PM on Nov. 17, 2008