If you have dogs, do you let them inside to be with the family or keep them outside?

I've always had dogs, even as a kid- we always let them inside to be a part of the family. I just dont understand the purpose of having a dog as a pet- but then leaving it outside all the time. Even if you live in a warm climate, dont you think they need to be socialized, trained & be made a part of the family? Or am I just being a sappy dog lover? Plz no bashing- just curious?

mrsmom110

Asked by mrsmom110 at 3:09 PM on Feb. 9, 2011 in Pets

• My dog is an inside dog, she's part of the family. I never understood why people get dogs then keep them outside either, that's not a pet, that's a furry animated lawn ornament.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 3:14 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Ours live in the house and go hang outside in the yard for fun and exercise. They are mostly here on the couch with us. My mom had an outside dog as I was growing up.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 3:12 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• My fur-baby is a miniature Pomeranian. She is an indoor family member. She likes to go outside to see what's going on on the other side of the door and to potty, of course. But, she definitely lives inside.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 3:20 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Our Shelties live inside as part of the family. I agree, USUALLY there is no since in having a dog if they are going to live their lives outside. I say usually because some dogs are bred to be flock guardians (guarding sheep, cows, etc). In my opinion, that is the ONLY time a dog should be made to live outside, but I know many people will come up with lame excuses to make themselves feel better OR they just don't care!
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 3:35 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Of course we let him inside. He only goes outside on a leash with us. He sleeps in our bed. He is our baby.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:37 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I also can never figure out why people have dogs and keep them outside. Our dogs are part of the family.
    Carolannie

Answer by Carolannie at 4:39 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• My two dogs are outside during the day (with access to the garage, where they have food, water, and their beds) when we're at work. But whenever we're home, they're inside. And these are not small dogs either, they're about 80lbs each. But I agree, why have pets (and for me, this actually goes for ALL pets, not just dogs) if you don't want to spend time with them?
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 5:46 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• yes I totally agree with you. They are our family! Dogs are just as important as an uncle or aunt. They have close ties to us. They never are rude or treat us like dirt! Let them in the house to be a family member and love them, you will get much more back than you will give!
    vernalea

Answer by vernalea at 5:48 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Our dog lives inside, she is spoiled rotten!! There are times when she likes to stay in the yard mostly when the sun is shining down on her...lol. However, with these cold temps, she goes outside to use the bathroom and barks to come right back inside..lol. I could not imagine keeping a dog outside all the time. Our American Bulldog weighs about 120 pounds and has never stayed outside all night long.
    Kellyjude1

Answer by Kellyjude1 at 5:51 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Our dogs are all indoor dogs. I have known a lot of outdoor dogs who were really well cared for, not abused. I know a family of successful veterinarians who keep both of their dogs outdoors, with access to an indoor room of their home. The dogs never come indoors, by choice.

On the other hand, you have to have the right breed of dog for outdoor living, particularly in some climates. You have to provide resources for the dog, and you still have to really work with that animal on a daily basis.You need to train and socialize that animal if you ever plan on having any type of relationship with the dog.

There are people who throw their puppies outside and run into a whole bunch of problems because they think the dog is going to raise itself out there...well, that really never works. The dog never bonds or listens to them.The same could be said for indoor dogs left in a dog cage day in and day out, as some people do as well.

spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 11:30 PM on Feb. 9, 2011