Whats a nice way of telling the parent of the child I keep....

The child I watch is almost 4 he maybe once a month has an accident here he wears pull ups here and at home. His mom says he WILL NOT use the potty at home...she told me since he uses the potty here she brought underwear in his bad for me to put on him...but he comes in a pull up. Whats a nice way of telling her if he isn't going to come in the underwear I am not going to change him everyday for them and them just use pull ups from the time they pick him up till they bring him the next day.

Another thing she said they can't get him to brush his teeth at home so she put a tooth brush in his bad and a note saying can I start brushing them here so they don't have to fight with him. Sorry but if you can't get your child to do something I am not going to waste my time doing it for you. Its not like she pays Nanny pay she only pays $15 a day um not worth all she wants. So whats a nice way of telling her She needs to be doing this at home or I am not doing it here?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:13 PM on Feb. 9, 2011 in General Parenting

• Really there is no nice way I have been in this situation before you just have to come right out and tell her
    ExtremlyUnique

Answer by ExtremlyUnique at 3:15 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Even if you did it at your house, everything he learned would be shot to heck as soon as he got home.  If she isn't going to be on the same page there is no point.  And so what, you get to deal with "training" him?  I wouldn't go for that either.  HER responsibility, she needs to step up and stop putting things on you that she should be doing.  A nice way to tell her?   You said it pretty well here, I don't see anything rude.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 3:16 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Wow, all that for $15/day? There is no nice way to say it. You're getting screwed!
    spamica

Answer by spamica at 3:20 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• your not his parent your his babysitter its not your job to potty train him nor is it to brush his teeth that is her job. just tell her that you cant be brushing his teeth and potty training him.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 3:22 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• just tell her "I don't mean to be mean, but you need to be doing this at home."
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 3:23 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• There is no nice way. I think it's pretty pathetic on HER part that she can't get her own kid to do what she says. Just tell her if she wants you to potty train her kid and get him to brush his teeth, then she needs to be paying a lot more than $15 a day!1
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 3:23 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I think she's taking advantage of you. However, I would give it a try. Put his underwear on and see what happens. Ask him to brush his teeth and see what happens. If he wont do it you can smile and say "I gave it a shot" and "I don't know why you think he would do it for me and not for you?" If you succeed...no harm done.

And I agree; $15 /day is not enough. Don't teens charge a min of $5 an hour.

onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 3:26 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• The only nice way to put it may be that you will "support" what she is doing daily and consistently at home. But until she is doing it daily and consistently throughout the day, you cannot force a child into a new routine.

and on a side bar note: the mom is lazy and wants you to do her job for her. If you do this, what will she ask next? Give him his daily bath? You need to put your foot down. I know it's difficult, but you are doing what's best for the child also. She needs to be responsible for her child.
    Anonymous

• yeah i have asked her for a raise...but she said she just can't afford it. I live with my mother I am 26 and just found other kids to keep so my mom is taking over on this child for the 2 days i am gone. (the mother is fine with it) The new kids I keep for only 3 days making $200. So yeah I am over her taking advantage of me. Yes he will do anything I tell him brush your teeth or whatever. Thats not the point the point is its her place to do this and I am not going to keep adding stuff just b/c she can't get him to do it.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:34 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Anywhere else ud be paid 25 a day. You should ask for that much. she's just lazy and doesn't want to do her part. I would at least help on the brushing teeth part. It's sad when u see kids who's parents don't care for them and they have rotten teeth.
    istealcookies

Answer by istealcookies at 3:38 PM on Feb. 9, 2011