Healthiest

What would be the healthiest human food that my little 20 lb. terrier mix could have, since we ran out of dog food and have no money until Friday?. We have lots of human food. This is just until midnight tomorrow, when hubby's check goes in.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:18 PM on Feb. 9, 2011 in Pets

• Raw meat.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 3:21 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Meat (either raw or cooked)...chicken would probably be the easiest for him/her to digest. You can even add rice or veggies if you want, but it's not really necessary.
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 3:30 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• You'll find some answers here

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 3:31 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Cooked meat is not as good for pets as raw is. They're carnivores, in the wild they would never have had anything cooked. And do not add rice, grain is bad for pets. Yeah, it's in pet food but it's murder on their digestive system.
    Anonymous

• According to vets raw meat will make your pet very sick!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 3:35 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• How will raw meat make them sick if that's what they are meant to eat? Wild dogs eat raw meat.
    Anonymous

• I do agree with you "Anon" for the most part, but since the dog is used to eating kibble only I would worry that a sudden switch to raw might upset the digestive track. I don't know much about raw feeding though, I will admit. My dogs get grain-free dog food (Taste of the Wild) and occasional bits of raw meat and a raw egg once/wk and they are very healthy. Someday, I'd love to switch mine to raw, but my dh (who is the only one who works) won't allow it.
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 3:41 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Yeah, and those vets that say raw will make a dog sick are the same ones who push crap like Science Diet!
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 3:43 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Yes, they are carnivores but they do not eat raw meat all the time which means they have little to no immunity to the bacteria they may ingest.Not to mention, pre-packaged meat has more bacteria than meat they would have killed themselves. Do not give your dog raw meat. I would suggest ground beef or ground chicken/turkey. It's easy for them to digest and has good nutritional value.

They can also eat
    Melons(watermelon, cantaloupe and honey dew) , shelled sunflower seeds, Berries, cooked chicken, cheese, bananas, apple slices, baby carrots and green beans.

Details here: http://www.pawnation.com/2010/07/28/10-human-foods-dogs-can-eat/
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 5:47 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• My dog won't touch raw meat cold from the fridge. That is not the same as catching something and eating it. Cook the meat for you dog. Just keep it simple and unseasoned. Chicken or ground beef mixed with rice is just fine.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 6:08 PM on Feb. 9, 2011