What would u do

what r suppose to do when ur 4 yr old tells u that his dad put hot sauce in his mouth is he tellin the truth r fibbin cuz he has told his dad that i slapped him acroos his face when he had a bruise under his eye when he was playin w his dog n hit the conor of the table at moms. I have asked his dad about it. He told me no n said u know how kids are.

monica1830

Asked by monica1830 at 3:26 PM on Feb. 9, 2011 in General Parenting

• I would work with him on learning to tell the truth. Its normal for a kid to make up stuff. But stuff like that could get someone in trouble. Tell him the consequences of telling lies like that and if someone were to believe him.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 3:30 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• oh ok i apericate but show be the consquenses should i use. Right now I maj=ke him sit for 4 mins then times up i tell him what he did r i ask him dioes he knoiw y he got in trouble
    monica1830

Comment by monica1830 (original poster) at 3:35 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I would tell him the story of "the boy who cried wolf" and explain how it is important to tell the truth. I would also tell him that if he keeps lying and 'telling fibs' that will get him into trouble and he could get others in trouble as well. Let him know that by constantly lying you will not know when he is telling the truth, and you may not believe him. I would also be consistent and be firm with consequences (punishments)- each time you catch him in a lie hand out a consequence to him (like time out, early bed time, no dessert, no tv, take away a favorite toy..... something that will really get to him).
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 4:00 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• i member when i was little i said some bad things (LIES) and dcfs got called and they almost took me away. u can tell him when he tells lies bad things can happen and he can hurt peoples feelings and everytime u catch him in a lie u can sit down with him and ask the truth and if he still dont tell u then tell him that mommy is really upset and he may tell you
    lil_momma1991

Answer by lil_momma1991 at 4:04 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• ok thks i try the toy thing first cuz he has a few fav toys he likes to play w n hope that works
    monica1830

Comment by monica1830 (original poster) at 4:06 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• thks i just hope it works i just hate to see one of us get in trouble for somethin he said that isnt even true
    monica1830

Comment by monica1830 (original poster) at 4:07 PM on Feb. 9, 2011