How am i supposed to feed my son these things each day??

I just got back from wick today and
They tell me that my son should have
4 servings of fruit and veggies
2 servings of protein
16-24 ounces of dairy-- he already gets this
4 servings of grain

How am i supposed to do this???
Oh and my son is will be 3 in march .

Mrs.Ro

Asked by Mrs.Ro at 3:28 PM on Feb. 9, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• bump

sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 3:28 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Milk, oatmeal, and fruit for breakfast.
    Apple and peanut butter for snack.
    Turkey sandwich on whole wheat with carrot sticks and a glass of milk for lunch.
    Whole wheat crackers and dip for a snack.
    Chicken, rice, green beans, and milk for dinner.

CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 3:31 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• The best you can do is try.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:32 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• a serving size for a child is a different amount as a serving size from an adult. look up serving sizes based on age. It is possible, and easy.
    Anonymous

• The most important thing is to make sure you offer him a wide variety of foods every day. He's not going to eat it all (he's a toddler) but keep at it and he will be more likely to try things over time. Like mompam said, the best you can do is try. I've never known a toddler who ate exactly what WIC said they should eat. But as long as you're giving him the opportunity, no worries. :)
    aliceryannesmom

Answer by aliceryannesmom at 3:44 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• whole grains can be found in: Sliced bread, Bagels, Tortillas, English muffins, Pita bread, Dinner rolls or other buns, Whole wheat or brown rice pasta, Brown or wild rice, Whole oats, Whole wheat or whole grain cereals
    Protein can be found in: meat (beef, chicken, tuna, fish,pork, bacon) , peanut butter, nuts and seeds, tofu, beans, split peas, eggs and also in dairy like milk, cottage cheese, yogurt and some cheeses
    For each meal I would pick a few things from the different group and offer to my child- CraftingMama had a good example of a good balanced day's meals that cover all the groups needed.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 3:47 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• WIC should have given you a sample meal & snack plan that illustrates a few different examples of how to get these servings in. but of course, dont beat yourself up if he misses a serving or two of something. i actually read today on my oatmeal box that one package of it contains 1 of the 3 recommended servings of whole grains, so after i had that & a tuna sandwich on whole wheat bread, i got my grains serving out of the way today. sometimes you do it without even noticing.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 4:00 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Don't forget juice and good luck
    NHRachel

Answer by NHRachel at 4:15 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Good luck! It's hard for me to get my child to eat healthy. He is so picky. I try. Thats all we can do I guess.
    jmgblair10

Answer by jmgblair10 at 12:17 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• Remember their portions are tiny compared to yours. Gerber actually has some great information on suggested servings of all of those and approximately how much in a given day. Of course, they recommend their products, but I usually do 'real' food.

FWIW, most any pediatric nutritionist will tell you it's more about what they consume in a week instead of a day and it usually rounds out if you keep track. I don't keep track, but I've noticed my son will have heavy carb days or heavy veggie days ...
    JZ10FPM

Answer by JZ10FPM at 2:06 PM on Feb. 10, 2011