Anyone ever had a DNC done after having a baby?

I keep passing clots so they are having me go in for a DNC. I'm not very familiar with this I was just curious if anyone has had one and how it went. Was it painful? How long after you had it done did you bleed for? Did they put you under anesthetics during the procedure!? Let me know please! Thanks!!

nat1387

Asked by nat1387 at 3:33 PM on Feb. 9, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I have never had it done but have heard of people who have, usually its for abortions or to finish miscarriages. I have heard it is painful. whats going to happen is they will give you drugs, probably cytotec, to dilate your cervix. Then they will go in and see if there was implantation and clean out any other clots. Then I am assuming they willcauterize whatever areas are bleeding. I suggest you ask your doctor for more information. Or ask a nurse. Nurses tend to be better at patient teaching than doctors. I'm a nursing student
    punkomama08

Answer by punkomama08 at 3:37 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Yes, I have. The reason you are still bleeding is because not all of the pregnancy/placenta is gone & your body is trying to eliminate it on it's own, which it cant. When you go in for the procedure, It's an out-patient surgery & you go in and come out the same day. They put you under anesthesia so you are asleep & the whole process takes 10-15 minutes and your done. They wake you up and as soon as you are stable on your feet you can go home (someone has to drive you). I've had 4 D&C's and it's no big deal. Mild cramping like a period and you bleed for a few days like a period.

Anonymous