WHAT is going on with my son!

He is one year old and has been waking me up every night almost every hour of the night. I often make him bottles but sometimes he refuses it or only drinks some of it. he doesn't like to be held upright belly to belly, he like to be side lying in my arms belly to belly. He won't let me sit down, I have to pace my living room. I have tried mylicon, tylenol, teething gel, benzocaine in his ear (in case it was an ear infection) and gripe water. I have tried different kinds of jammies in case he was to hot/cold. He used to co-sleep with me and still sometimes does but mostly he just won't lay down. Sometimes I can get him to sleep on my chest and belly by lying on the couch but even then he only rests for a few minutes. I desperatly need some advice here. I am going on 2 weeks with so little sleep I can't stand it. Some nights I don't even get 2 hours of sleep. HELP

punkomama08

Asked by punkomama08 at 3:35 PM on Feb. 9, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Maybe he hurts a little?

Growing is hard work. When Ds was little we noticed that he was crabby/defiant a few weeks before he reached a new milestone...is DS on the brink of walking or anything like that?

The good thing about babies is that just when you get used to something they change...hopefully this won't last much longer, especially if you can't figure out the problem.

Also, good for you for sticking with LO during this tough time...it would be easier to let him deal with it on his own, but making the difficult choice to stay up and help him will benefit both of you in the end.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 3:43 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• He actually just learned how to walk. He can't get very far but thats all he wants to do is walk. Do you think that might be the thing is he is sore from walking all day? There were a few days I gave him tylenol and he still woke up but it seems like it wasn't as often (of course my days are kinda running together at this point).
    punkomama08

Comment by punkomama08 (original poster) at 3:48 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• It sounds like you might implement some attachment parenting techniques, so I'm going to go out on a limb and guess you are open to some alternative medicines, etc? Try Boiron's Camilia drops. They specify for teething, but can help baby be more restful. Also, Bach's Rescue Remedy or Sleep Remedy may help. I often use Badger's Sleep Balm to rub on baby's chest and face. It is aromatherapeutic.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 3:49 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• where can i find those things? I have tried the johnsons bedtime lotion stuff and it did seem to make bed time easier but that wasn't the problem.
    punkomama08

Comment by punkomama08 (original poster) at 3:56 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I would talk to the pedi about referring you to a sleep center to get a sleep study done for sleep apnea. Sleep apnea affects all ages. They will also look at life style, like diet, habits ect ect. Anything to do with sleep they will help you with.
    SEEKEROFSHELLS

Answer by SEEKEROFSHELLS at 3:58 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• My son didn't sleep a full night until we started to leave the radio on low-volume,sounds crazy, but during the day he slept well because he was surrounded by sounds,at night he would wake up and not like the silence,hearing the radio he felt more secure and went back to sleep.
    sounds like you will do all you can to help your baby but remember that you are important too and someone must insist on giving you a break ,not sleeping properly caused alot of health problems for me,not having family on hand to help and husband often away I was exhausted,you really should think about asking someone to step in even just for a hour to let you sleep.
    laurainglese

Answer by laurainglese at 5:25 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• A natural food/health store will carry those things, or you can order them online. luckyvitamin.com has most of those things at good prices! Good luck!
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 5:50 PM on Feb. 9, 2011