"Overall happiness" is at an all-time low right now...is yours?

Supposedly overall happiness is at an all-time low in the U.S. and many other countries right now (according to some publications). Would you agree with this? Where does your happiness stand on a scale of 1 (lowest) to 10 (highest) right now, and why?

aliceryannesmom

Asked by aliceryannesmom at 3:57 PM on Feb. 9, 2011 in Health

• I feel very happy. But the bar was low when I was little, so it's easy for me to be content. Still, I feel that I am very blessed and that my family has it exceptionally well.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 3:58 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I am a happy person. I just get in a good mood at times. Other times I am content.
    idaspida

Answer by idaspida at 4:03 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• 2. I'm poor and we are struggling. My kids are both in special ed and one has to take the short bus. I am always running to the psychiatrist of therapist. I am missing tons of school due to my kids. Just totally unhappy right now.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 4:03 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Ashisamom, I am sending you hugs!

Okay, since I asked the question, I guess I will give my own honest answer. :) I'm at about a 2 right now. My husband has been without work for a year and a half - he is quite literally, according to employers, "overqualified" for every job in the known universe, which makes no sense. We have tried everything to no avail. We live in an apartment that is falling apart around us, and I expect it is also making us sick. Our neighbors are cantankerous and a little scary. DH's and my parents' and grandparents' healths are all failing rapidly, out of nowhere.

About 2 years ago we were worlds away from this, worlds better than this. So I am struggling every day. I am a naturally optimistic person, but I have felt a lot of that drain out of me lately. Just keep on keepin' on, right? :)
    aliceryannesmom

Comment by aliceryannesmom (original poster) at 4:19 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I am always happy, even during stressful times, I manage to find something to be happy about. In the scale mine is probably an 8 or 9, only because my family is going through some health issues.

Answer by older at 4:19 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I go between 6-8 most days.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 4:26 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Depends on the week. The weeks I have my son an 8 the weeks I don't a 2. I miss my son when he is at his dad's even though I get to see him every morning except for his dad's weekends. Not only that but I have a part time job that doesn't pay the bills and another part time job that I am not getting paid for right now. I am also having a hard time with school this semester so it is just hard right now. I don't worry about all that crap when my son is with me though.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 4:28 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• i think it is the winter blahs right now as for my happiness i think i would be happier if the weather was nicer but...... wishful thinking
    Amanda11810

Answer by Amanda11810 at 8:52 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Happiness is actually a choice...a complicated choice often, but still a choice! Sometimes, as the orginal poster, aliceryannesmom, mentions, we get so caught up in all that sucks in our life. When we so entrenched and are unable to pull ourselves out (mentally) from this place, nothing changes and we feel stuck in a vicious circle.
    Learning how to take control of and guide our thoughts and feelings and to disconnect with our current conditions to a certain extend, recognizing our own power to create our own life. I write a blog about this stuff... you can check it out if you are interested www.stressedoutmomblog.com. We do not have to the be the victims of our circumstances, we can learn to be the creators of our lives and change the conditions of our lives for the better! Everything on the outside has its root inside - inside each one of us!
    SigridSK

Answer by SigridSK at 1:13 AM on Feb. 14, 2011