Thoughts about Teen Parents

Im a 17 year old mom with a 2 month old daughter...im always getting judged for being a teen parent and since then, have lost most of my friends and even some family members...i dont think that its right for teen parents to be judged and put out to be "bad kids". As long as they are good parents and take responsibility for their child/children...then thats all that should matter...but what i really wanna know is...whats your opinion on 'Teen Parenthood'? And how do you feel about it?

Samantha.G

Asked by Samantha.G at 4:20 PM on Feb. 9, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• Its none of my business, people should mind there own
    khf22

Answer by khf22 at 4:21 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I wouldn't worry about what other people think, i's how you think and how you parent your child that counts.
    MommaKath1975

Answer by MommaKath1975 at 4:24 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• My mom was a teen parent, so I don't judge any teen parents.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 4:24 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Most teen parenthood is not planned, so there cannot be any amount of readiness for the event or what is to come, but that is not to say that a lot of them don't  step up to the plate and learn really fast what is expected. I think once a woman of any age has children, intuition and instinct kick in really quick, although I have seen some mature ladies not have any of those I mentioned, but for the most part they do.

Just recently saw in the news a story about a high school girl who gave birth in a public bathroom and left the baby there to die, it bresks my heart when I see this, this goes beyond years, it borders down on matters of compassion.

Ultimately, I think teens mom can be just as good as any other mom, heck all they need to have is love and  priorities in the right place, I am sure you are one of those, good luck with your baby!

Answer by older at 4:29 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I was a teen parent too, so no judgement. I saw the judgement when people looked at me, and it was hurtful. I only hope that my girls don't go through it. It's tough!!
    prkingham72

Answer by prkingham72 at 4:30 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I am totally right there with you Sam. I was a mom at 21 but I had a face of a 15 year old. I had people judging me right and left. But you know what I decided to do. Ignore it. I admit it was hard to do at first but after a while it worked. Just show the people how great a parent you are and don't worry about what others think otherwise. I always showed my affection for my daughter in the public so they would know she was very much loved. I hope things get better for you Sam, but until then just know that you knowing you are a good parent is good enough until everyone else catches on that you are a good parent.
    dragonqueen

Answer by dragonqueen at 4:33 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I was 18 when I had my first child. I was married wasnt on any kind of goverment assistance and was a good mom. So I didnt care what people thought. Would I want my teen daughters to have a baby at the ages of 15 or 17 no.
    okmommy08

Answer by okmommy08 at 4:36 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I was pregnant at 17, at the time my family felt ashamed of me and treated me as though I was a "bad" child for getting pregnant and having sex early. Because of this I tried to redeem myself in their eyes, the eyes of the community by giving away my first born child. It's one of the very reasons why I gave away my first born. I do not judge, I know its hard and not necessarily ideal, (I had my second child 2 years later before my 21st birthday) I was there once and I know what its like.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 4:39 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Honestly we live in a very judgemental society, and no matter what we do there will always be someone out there pointing the finger saying what is right and what is wrong I was a teen parent and I love my children and I pat myself on the back everyday because I am a damn good mother and those who choose to judge can kiss my A** ignore the negativity continue being a wonderful mother to your child

ExtremlyUnique

Answer by ExtremlyUnique at 5:04 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Well I had my first child when I was a month shy of 18. But I was also married (to a man I been with for 4 years). Didnt drop out of school. Had a job. Living on our own. Husband joined the army. Have probably the best health care out there. Not on any government assistance. Planned for the child. Even had parents that were supportive about my decisions. I can deffinantly say I am more mature then most teens. I knew I wanted to marry the man I loved and have his kids regardless of my age and what everyone else thought. And to this day I still dont regret any of my decisions.

But I definitely dont think all teens are ready to be parents.
    jessran1218

Answer by jessran1218 at 5:11 PM on Feb. 9, 2011