PITOCIN – A COMMONLY USED DRUG IN CHILDBIRTH

For our second DD we were given potocin to start the labor, bc I was 4 cm dialted for a week and it was not progressing on it own. The labor was more tense and painful than the first which did not require this drug. that was the pain side effect that I was aware of with the labor.
Personally I have not noticed any effects as those illistrated in the article which describe their poticin born children as being: too emotional, overly hyper, they have nervous system disorders, unable to transition from one activity to another, and mood disorders.

In regards to several articles I have read about this drug, I was wondering if anyone else who has used this drug during childbirth notice any permenant changes in their children as many articles suggest?

Aries46845

Asked by Aries46845 at 4:26 PM on Feb. 9, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I had pitocin with the birth of my first, but not my second. My first is very emotional, but she's an 8 year old girl. She has none of the other issues.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 4:28 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I am not sure of which article you are actually talking about but they used pitocin on me due to me having Gestational Diabetes and this perfectly describes my son who is 3.. I wish I would have read up before having him... I planned having him but didn't plan on having Gest Diabetes and having limited choices like I did
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 4:28 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I was given Pitocin with my son....and he has severe ADHD, unable to transition from one task to another without breakdowns, extremely sensitive, and possible bi-polar. I never even looked at the articles to see if there was a link, so I guess there could be a link there. hmmm
    KennsWifey

Answer by KennsWifey at 4:29 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I really haven't read any articles on it but that sounds very familiar ( my 5 year old and 2 year old ) they are extremely emotional lol I didn't know that pitocin could have done it I'll def. be looking into it now
    msh88

Answer by msh88 at 4:31 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• i had the pitocin with my older two daughters, neither of them suffer from any of those side effects you described. my 2 year old is extremely sensitive - but, so is her mommy. i did, however, experience the fast & hard contractions that i know are not as bad when contracting naturally versus chemically.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 4:33 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I had this drug with all three births. So far we have seen no issues.
    tiddliwinks

Answer by tiddliwinks at 4:34 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I had pitocin with a couple of my births and I havent noticed any effects on the kids.
    okmommy08

Answer by okmommy08 at 4:34 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Pitocin was used with my first and yes, he was diagnosed w/ADHD (hyper, impulsive, but not emotional or dealing with any mood disorders) at age 10, though we were later able to rid him of his diagnosis using a biomedical approach. I did much research into the topic over the years and have read about the possible connection but I personally don't believe pitocin is to blame.

My second is my overly emotional child, though she does not display any other of the symptoms you describe. I was not given pitocin with her. I think it is just her nature; she is quite a sensitive soul.
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 4:35 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Mine is autistic, so I guess it could be. He's very sensitive, has a hard time transistioning from one task to another, prefers to be alone rather with other children (he does however like to be around DH and I constantly).
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 4:38 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I just happened to stumble on these articles here is a link to a few that I recently read.

http://healyourearlyimprints.com/blog/?p=119
    Aries46845

Comment by Aries46845 (original poster) at 4:42 PM on Feb. 9, 2011