I'm losing my mucus plug, how long til labor starts, i'm 40 wks

I'm due the 12th and dialated to a 3, started losing my mucus plug 2 days ago (really gross) this is my 5 baby. I've got 4 boys and finally a girl! =) How long after you lose your mucus plug does labor begin?

BabyJ26

Asked by BabyJ26 at 4:27 PM on Feb. 9, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Well hopefully soon for you, since you are full term....but technically one can lose their mucus plug several times, not at all or weeks before labor.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 4:28 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Well it just depends on the body and with my two children it was different each time. Good Luck.
    Aries46845

Answer by Aries46845 at 4:29 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• How long after with your other babies?
    tiddliwinks

Answer by tiddliwinks at 4:31 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I lost my mucus plug twice with my second born I hope this is not the case for you. Good luck it could be soon!
    dragonqueen

Answer by dragonqueen at 4:35 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• With my first, I lost my plug at 37 weeks and no labor by my scheduled C-section at 39 weeks.

With my second, I lost my plug on Friday night (and kept losing it all day Saturday) and went into labor Saturday night (on my due date).

So no telling.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 4:35 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Could be an hour could be a week, but considering you are full term and you have had 4 other babies, it might not be too long :)
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 4:59 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• You can loose your mucous plug at any point in pregnancy. In fact, it can regenerate if it comes out "too soon." There is no magic number for when you'll be in labor after loosing your plug or any magic to your current dilation. You're 40 weeks, so odds are you'll be having your baby soon- within the next two weeks at least.
    fancyjane

Answer by fancyjane at 6:58 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Seems your close considering you're already 40 weeks! Watch for bloody show and contractions.
    shanapiv

Answer by shanapiv at 7:23 PM on Feb. 9, 2011