Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tax question

i usually do my husband and I taxes our self with turbo tax but this year things gotta bit complicated my husband got a new job that was great but put her in a different tax bracket plus i had 5 months of income this year early on to. There was a child support order against me as i have a 9 year old who doesnt live with us but it didnt go through till the end of dec of 2010 but they backed tracked it to sept for when it all got filed and i just found out they will go for my tax return for whats back owed. im paying my payments now but im still behind 2 grand. i dont want my husband to be responsible for back child support when the child isnt is and hes worked his butt of all year are we better off filling seperate? or filling together as they will take what i owe? does anyone know? please no bashing im not against paying my back support i just dont want my husband and other children to suffer from it.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 4:33 PM on Feb. 9, 2011 in Money & Work

Answers (8)
  • Fill out the return twice, once as if you're filing separately, and once as if you're filing jointly. Then subtract whatever money you owe, and see where that leaves you. Submit the one that leaves you better off.

    Answer by DragonRiderMD at 4:38 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

  • It does not matter if you file separatly or together, the money will be taken. Do your taxes both ways and see which way you will come out better.

    Answer by A.Perry at 4:39 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

  • i think if you use turbo tax you can file both ways, just don't submit them and it will show you which way is better. When I used to do taxes I know it was always better to file together because they penalize you more when you file married filing separately.

     I understand that you don't want you DH to have to pay although if you file separately you may both owe taxes.

    Good Luck!


    Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 4:41 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

  • Have your husband file as injured spouse. That way they won't take his portion of the return.

    Answer by kmath at 4:50 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

  • If you file seperately, they cannot take his money for your back payments.
    You could file together and do an injured spouse form to keep them from taking his money, but I know at least one person this didnt' work for.

    Answer by Candi1024 at 4:50 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

  • You can contact the IRS and find out if they have an "interest" in your return.... I had that problem with a student loan i wasn't paying properly and once i started paying monthly the dropped their "interest" and I filed and got my return. just because you have back support doesnt mean they'll take it as long as you current on your payments. call and find out it's pretty simple... and you want to find out if suppor has an interest in your case...thats what they called it and when i referred to it differently they got all confused. GL

    Answer by Finkette at 5:09 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

  • What does your husband say? Would he mind some (or all) of the tax refund going to back child support? The money will get paid one way or another- and if your tax liability is lower from you two filing together then it might be worth it just to file together and just be done with back child support.

    He could also look into the injured spouse form which would allow him to get some of the refund money back if you file together.

    BUT like Candi said, unless he is somehow liable for the back child support then if you two file separately HIS tax refund will not be garnished.

    This calculator can help you figure out if it's better for you to file jointly or separate:

    Answer by Erica_Smerica at 5:55 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

  • he can some of the tax money as a injured spouse is what i was told.

    Answer by WildCat73 at 6:25 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.