What are the signs of labour?

hey,i am almost 38 weeks and i was just wondering: is pooping another sign of labour? i am 2 cm and 50% effaced now and today my body is just getting rid of all that stuff like crazy. i already went to the bathroom 5 times today and early this morning i started having i guess false contractions,because they were more in my stomach on both sides,instead of my back. so i just don"t know what to think,is it getting closer and might go into labour within few days or a week,or it's nothing and i still have 2,3 more weeks to go. have you had any sings that you body was trying to show you??? also i am feeling very icky,kind of noaseated and don't really want to eat.

crouse3

Asked by crouse3 at 4:42 PM on Feb. 9, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Pooping is said to be a sign that labor is coming soon. Contraction on the sides and stomach are still contractions. I did not have back labor with either one of my boys. Now is time to start timing your contractions. Labor contractions are 10 minutes or less apart regularly and become closer together. They last 1.5+ in length. You usually feel pressure with contractions no matter how you sit, lay, or walk, If while walking you almost have to stop due to contractions and/or pressure. To determine whether your contractions are the real thing walk for a while (hour or better while having them), then drink a glass of water and rest. If the contractions stop or slow down in frequency then they were not real contractions.

I hope this helps, good luck!!
    ChristyW3

Answer by ChristyW3 at 8:10 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Ignore the dilation and effacement info. It isn't a crystal ball that can give you any real information. You can be completely closed and have a baby in your arms 6 hours later. Or you can walk around at 4cm for weeks. Pooping a lot is an early labor sign. It isn't a guarantee that a good BM is the sign of labor starting, but it is common for women to experience frequent BMs within the 24 hours before labor starts.
    fancyjane

Answer by fancyjane at 6:56 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Don't get over excited. I was 3 cm dilated and fully effaced for 3 weeks with my son. I was having painless contractions the whole time. The good news is, I only had a 2 hours labor with him. All that early prep makes the delivery go much more quickly. I felt fine right up until I delivered with both of my kids. I never felt sick or anything other than normal, until the contractions got painful.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 4:49 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Its hard to explain but you'll know when you are in labor your body shows you so many signs I knew I was in labor with my son because I started having contractions and when I went to the bathroom I had pink fluid down below so I got online and googled and that was on the list of symptoms and I didn't go to the hospital until the next day I was 4 cm dilated and had my son that evening and not everybody water breaks they had to break my water when I went to the hospital
    toybar02

Answer by toybar02 at 4:53 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• i was having contractions with my first one and i was wiping pink spots when i went to the rest room
    lil_momma1991

Answer by lil_momma1991 at 5:10 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• You can really only know that you're in labor if your water breaks or if you start getting constant contractions.
    shanapiv

Answer by shanapiv at 5:50 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Bleeding is a very good indicator too.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 5:58 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• When I went into labor with baby number 2, I was extreamly sick (tired, nauseous), I was having contractions, and also was bleeding a bit (my mucus plug)
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 6:15 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• i could not sleep or get comfortable an had to do number two back to back an nothing would come out then my booty hole kept hurting it's good to time our pain because the next morning i wasn't hurtin as bad but hurtin the i went to the hospital an was already 5cm an didn't even no it
    quetta669

Answer by quetta669 at 2:08 AM on Feb. 10, 2011