Gatorade vs. real juice

Just curious as to everyones opinion on gatorade. such as, do you let your kids drink it? how often?
how do you think it compares to regular juice? is it the same amount/type of sugar they're getting from regular juice, or is it way more.
do you think its super bad for kids to have gatorade?

curious because I try not to allow my kids too much junk food... but I still like to treat them to special things from time to time. When one of my twins had the flu I got some gatorade for him because he wouldn't drink even the non flavored pedilite. but he LOVES grape gatorade. (they both do) so I've been letting them have some gatorade about once a day or so.

but I don't have bottle in the house to check sugar content right now and I'm curious.

ElsaSalsaaa

Asked by ElsaSalsaaa at 4:50 PM on Feb. 9, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• Gatorade was made for athletes to gain back electrolytes lost when you perspire and are active above normal everyday levels. It's not something you would just give on a everyday basis. You can use it instead of pedialyte for kids when they are sick or have diarrhea

Anonymous

• Gatorade is fine for kids with diarrhea ONLY
    Treat it as you would soda

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 4:56 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I think gatorade is like juice.....both are empty wasted calories. My son doesn't like anything other than water or ice tea. The fruit itself is much better than juice which is too concentrated with sugar
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 4:51 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I let my kids drink Gatorade occasionally & I think it is fine.

iluvmykidsxoxo

Answer by iluvmykidsxoxo at 4:57 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• We don't drink gatorade - at all. It tastes terrible and if I'm having something not-so-good for you I will have something that at least tastes good.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 5:01 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Everything in moderation!
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:39 AM on Feb. 11, 2011

• as long as you're not ALSO giving them juice in the same day - i think its fine. everything is fine in moderation.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 4:53 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Gatorade has refined sugar. Juice does not, and the body does not process them in the same way.

Gatorade is essentially koolaid. I can not fathom why anyone would allow their child to have it. ever. or even drink juice regularly, why can't they simply eat the fruit? Juice is empty calories.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 7:41 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I think the major difference is natural sugars versus corn syrup. Obviously 100% juice is better nutrition-wise for you, but it's also not laden with artificial/processed stuff like Gatorade and similar drinks. I'm not saying it's horrible to give a child Gatorade at times (especially when they are dehydrated and need some electrolytes) but it's not healthy to drink on a daily basis. It's basically empty calories.
    andrrrea

Answer by andrrrea at 8:16 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Honestly, while neither are great for you, I don't think it's going to hurt anything to have some occasionally. Gatorade is great for restoring electrolytes.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 8:37 PM on Feb. 9, 2011