Discipline for a 16 month old?

My son just turned 16 months on the 6th, and we have been having a lot of issues with the flat screen tv in our living room. Owen likes to play "knock knock" on the screen... and turn the tv on and off repeatedly. When i try to tell him no no... and pull him away..he makes it into a game.. laughs at me.. and does it all over again. I have tried time outs in his crib.. by the fridge... I have tried gently smacking his hand.being nice.. being firm.... nothing works.. i always get laughed at.. and its starting to get a little frustrating. I feel like 1 is a little young for time outs.. But i can't move the tv. He does this both while the tv is on and while it's off. The kicker is... He doesn't do it AT ALL... when daddy is around. :( Anyone have any tips?!

kaitilala

Asked by kaitilala at 5:13 PM on Feb. 9, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Every child is different.  My 15 month old does this same thing.  I don't think she is old enough to quite grasp the concept of NO fully so I just distract her.  When she hits the television, I tell her NO and give her something else to do.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 5:16 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• He is too little for time out because he doesn't understand the concept of a time out or discipline. He needs constant redirection. Remove him and occupy him with something else. Firmly tell him NO and keep telling him. He is still a BABY and needs patience and redirection. Spanking, timeouts, etc will not have any affect on him. He doesn't understand.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 5:17 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I find it very hard to discipline my 14 month old... I've tried all the same things but when theres one things getting to me bad that he thinks is a game i try to stop him from being able to get to it...Example my son likes to go through the entertainment center and play with all the cool "toys" in the cabinets so i put the coffee table in front of it so he just cant get into the trouble. things that he cant break or hurt himself with I just clean up later. GL
    Finkette

Answer by Finkette at 5:17 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• My daughter is 14 months old. When she goes near the fireplace or the TV and I say NO firmly, she always turns and looks at me and smiles or laughs. The important thing is to not laugh or smile back but be firm, and when they move praise them. But our babies are still pretty young. Just say "No Touch" as firm as possible, and when he does stop clap and cheer and say "Good Job ______"
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 5:37 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• try to remove him from the screen and explain that is your toy and give him on of his toys (preferably something he likes to play with lol) and if he does it again start the process over again and he will get the idea after a while.
    dragonqueen

Answer by dragonqueen at 5:39 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Can you gate it off in any way? My son set up a gate "wall" a few feet away from the TV until his baby was old enough to understand to leave it alone.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 5:54 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I also have seen "shield" type things that go over the on off switch. GL
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 5:55 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I agree with mom2jack. I use this method and it works really well for me and my 19 month old twins!
    bjane01

Answer by bjane01 at 7:50 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Yeah, You may need more bonding if your child has an issue listening to you!
    Mommy1234321

Answer by Mommy1234321 at 7:41 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• Trust me sweetheart, bonding isn't an issue. I spend all day everyday with him. Listening to that *GASP annoying toddler music. ;)
    kaitilala

Comment by kaitilala (original poster) at 10:40 PM on Feb. 10, 2011