Diet soda for kids

Diet soda is bad for you. Regular soda is too but diet is proven to be worse. Aside from diabetes...why do some parents give their kids diet soda to drink? Im a waitress and see it a lot. Im not judging but very curious. TIA!!

Steph319

Asked by Steph319 at 5:21 PM on Feb. 9, 2011 in Food & Drink

• I think a lot of people don't realize how bad it is. I myself finally quit drinking diet soda this year, but even in the past I did not let my kids have more than a sip on a rare occasion. I found out my dad was giving my 4-year-old diet soda at their house and it made me really upset. Why, when they have perfectly good milk and juice in the house, would he choose to give her that? Anyway...we talked about it and have a clear understanding now. It's been tough for me to quit diet soda (I grew up drinking it), and I don't want my kids to ever think it's perfectly healthy the way I did for so long!
    aliceryannesmom

Answer by aliceryannesmom at 5:30 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I don't let my kids have any type of soft drink on a regular basis. Sometimes I will let my 9 yo have a soft drink if we are out. But I used to get that a lot when I waitressed too. Or people would tell their kids no soft drinks because there's too much sugar in them, but then let them get sweet tea - like there is any less sugar in that!?!

Answer by missanc at 5:22 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I don't know. I give my son NOTHING with artificial sweetners. I just limit sugary foods. Some people think "diet" is always better and most times it is actually worse.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 5:22 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I'm not sure - maybe it's to avoid the empty calories. My kids don't get soda, but on the rare occasion they do, I give them regular.

Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 5:23 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• no clue - i know i check labels very carefully when i shop and stay completely away from artificial sweeteners. i dont even bother with lowfat yogurt anymore because half of them use aspartame to sweeten it - so regular fat is actually better for you! we dont keep soda in the house anyway except on rare occasions and none of my kids drink it (and i purchase regular soda cause i loathe the taste of diet)
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 5:24 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I dont like anything with the sugar substitutes... I occasionally will give my older son(10) a soda I don't avoid the sugar as much as the caffeine. So I try to stick with sprite and root beer just cause I don't feel like dealing with the caffeine rush.
    Finkette

Answer by Finkette at 5:25 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I will have one once in awhile because I'm a diabetic....but maybe once a month. Thankfully my son doesn't like anything fizzy and only drinks water or ice tea.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 5:29 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I don't let my daughter drink soda. Who knows why they do.
    MLM0503

Answer by MLM0503 at 5:39 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• We drink very little soda, but only diet. The effects of sugary drinks are far worse than the potential problems from artificial sweeteners. Splenda never led to childhood obesity or a mouth full of cavities. Talk to your doctor and your dentist about regular soda vs. diet and see what they say.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 6:10 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I don't know why they do that, but kids need milk, and water and a little juice. They don't need soda. I think parents do their kids a disservice by allowing them to drink soda.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 7:39 PM on Feb. 9, 2011