My 9 y/o says she is sad and feels sorrow. Could it be childhood depression??

My 9 y/o tells me as we are getting out of the truck at the grocery store she is sad and feels sorrow. That was her exact words. I asked if something happened at school and she said no. My grandfather pasted away a few months ago and she said she was sad because he died. But she barely knew him. I was just wandering if it could be childhood depression or just female hormones. She seems to be fine now. I'm a little concerned. Anyone have any suggestions?

luvmygrlz

Asked by luvmygrlz at 5:35 PM on Feb. 9, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• I went through the same thing. I lost both of my last two grandparents within 2 years of each when I was 4 and when I was almost 6. Even though I didn't know what death was I knew that it made people sad and I felt that that was how I was supposed to feel- so I made myself feel that way. I started wondering if that meant my mom and dad were going to go away too, and my cats, and my sister. It was pretty hard for a while. But eventually I fell back into being a kid.

Whatever you do- as a child that was medicated for ADD and depression- DON'T take your child to a doctor that will just prescribe them something. A lot of these things will work out on their own and it is a good exercise. Drugs and control hormones in children are a scary, scary thing since they are so sensitive to the smallest change. Just talk to your child. Understand why they are sad and then tell them that things are ok.
    meandrphoto

Answer by meandrphoto at 5:44 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Thank you so much meanddrphoto that makes me feel so much better.
    luvmygrlz

Comment by luvmygrlz (original poster) at 5:48 PM on Feb. 9, 2011