Smoking while pregnant

Need advice..... I was a smoker when I found out I was pregnant and when we heard the news that we were pregnant I quite smoking that day! However I am six months pregnant now and everything seems to be going wrong my business is failing, bills are eating me and My husband and I are not getting along. There has been times were I have been very stressed out and it seems a drag or two of a cig helps me.... I literally have about two drags three days a week...... It helps me keep my sanity!!!!! What should I do? I would NEVER smoke any more this this I just do it when I feel like I am loosing my mind.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:36 PM on Feb. 9, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I think you just need to keep doing what you're doing, trying your HARDEST to quit, and maybe talk to the dr about any advice he could give you. Sorry you're having a rough time, GL
    genagina

Answer by genagina at 5:37 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I have gone from 2 packs to 3 cigs a day everytime I get pregnant.  THINKING about it makes it worse, in my opinion.  You can't relax if your constantly stressing out about how many puffs your taking.  Relax, do your best, that's all that matters.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 5:39 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Well obviously you know it's not good for you and baby....but just find something to curb even those little puffs.....get a gum in a yummy flavor, like Extras newer dessert flavors like Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream or Strawberry Shortcake. Or just get up and do a quick workout to de-stress yourself....there are some wonderful low impact workouts like Leslie Sansone's Walk Away The Pounds or specific pregnancy ones like Fit Mama by Leisa Hart. Just get your mind off the cigarette and the stresses making you want the cigarette.

You are doing a wonderful job! Keep up the good work and congrats!
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 5:39 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• here is the thing hun. and i know it's hard because i'm a former smoker and even now i feel like i need a drag or two. the fact is every single breath that you take goes to your baby through the umbilical cord. if you take a drag, your little baby takes a drag too. i know its hard but their are other ways to cope. a nice hot bath, relaxing music, yoga. please don't smoke hun
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 5:40 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I'm pregnant too and I agree, QUITTING IS A BITCH......I've cut back but haven't been able to quit completely. My doctor gives no advice, just says quit, and I need more help then that! Just remember cutting back is better than being a full out smoker.....just do your best it's all we can do....non smokers sometimes don't really understand that.
    shanapiv

Answer by shanapiv at 5:45 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Have you tried the battery operated "cigarette"?  I get mine tomorrow, I'll let you know how it goes.  It's suppose to be a seriously HUGE way to quit smoking period.  I'll post my progress tomorrow and let you know if it helps or not.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 5:49 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Been there and done that. Smoking doesnt actuaslly do anything and it does not solve lifes ups and down ;)
    CandyHorse

Answer by CandyHorse at 5:58 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• The electronic cig stinks lol well, mine does. it makes me naucious and its a regular so, it double stinks.
    CandyHorse

• I think if you had quit, then I'd try to get back to that "no smoking" status. Studies show babies are safer when the parents don't smoke than when they do. (SIDS, allergies, breathing problems etc.) I don't think a few drags a week is really going to cause any long term physical harm for your baby, but for your sake and the sake of baby once he/she is out of the womb, you'd be better off getting a new coping strategy.
    fancyjane

Answer by fancyjane at 6:53 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I tried the battery operated cig, its not worth the money, trust me. It makes you want a real one even more! and it has an awful after taste!! almost like old fruit. Its pretty much like vapor, it gave me headaches and made me sick. But I was a super heavy smoker before i was pregnant, the day i found out i would love to say i dropped the habit, but i didnt. But i did about a week later. I just think about how it could be harming your baby. I read somewhere that when you inhale the smoke, your baby can't breathe for a certain amount of seconds i forgot, and everytime i wanted a cigarette i would just hold my breath. after a while the smell or sight of them made me nausous. but at least you've cut back (: good job for that (:
    AshleyMarie93

Answer by AshleyMarie93 at 8:15 PM on Feb. 9, 2011