Selling your house

We are recently thinking about moving out of state. We have 2 dogs and a cat which have lived here since we moved in. Will we have more trouble selling the house because we own pets?

Aries46845

Asked by Aries46845 at 5:38 PM on Feb. 9, 2011 in Pets

• I hope not.. we have our house up for sale and we have 3 cats.. so far it has not been a part of any negative feedback comment.. but I posted this similar question before and got both good and bad things about having animals..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:41 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• If your pets have damaged the house, you'll want to make repairs before you leave. We had problems with our cats spraying, so when we put our house on the market, we had to replace some of our baseboards and the carpet in many rooms, sealing the floors beneath. You'll also want to make sure that your house smells "fresh" when people visit it.
    evwsquared

Answer by evwsquared at 5:41 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• If the house has scratched wood or windows from pets claws or smells badly of pets, perhaps.....but before you put it on the market you can get carpets, floors and furniture cleaned, declutter, fix any claw marked things, and spray a product called XO (it's like an all natural febreeze, you can get it at QVC) to remove pet odors!
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 5:41 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• As long as the house doesnt smell like pets you should be fine. I remember house hunting and one of the houses reaked of cat piss. We turned around an left.
    Iluvmy5

Answer by Iluvmy5 at 5:50 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• If they caused damage that you can't fix YES if not then NO there should be no problems.
    iluvmykidsxoxo

Answer by iluvmykidsxoxo at 6:01 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• If you have dogs that have been inside and have carpets you might...it is very hard to get that pet smell out. I would get my carpets professionally cleaned and then keep the pets in an uncarpeted area.
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 6:10 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• When and if you show the house make sure the pets aren't there. Have the carpets cleaned and try to air out the house. If the house doesn't smell like an animal, the house is clean, and there isn't any damaged caused by animals then you should be okay.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 6:27 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Like everyone has said, if they have damaged the house and or yard FIX IT! We are actually looking to buy right now and some of the yards we have looked at are so horrible because people's dogs have torn them all up, and we wouldn't want to have to fix it. And smell is a big thing, I won't even consider a house that smells terrible. It sounds snotty but houses are expensive and people are going to want their money's worth!
    brighteyesbryar

Answer by brighteyesbryar at 6:47 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• If you home smells like pets and there is visible damage you might have trouble. I know we passed on several homes that had pets you could smell the animals in all the rooms and we knew it would cost a lot to get that smell out. I also passed on homes that had been smoked in.
    FricknFrack

Answer by FricknFrack at 7:24 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• if it wasn't damaged by pets i wouldn't let someone having pets keep me from buying a house.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 9:17 PM on Feb. 10, 2011