My 5 yr old has issues with most loud noises, especially automatic toilets, should I be concerned that there might be a medical issue or is it a phase he could be going through?

He recently has been complaning that noises at school bother him as well like the other kids playing. He says its just too loud.

quieann

Asked by quieann at 5:47 PM on Feb. 9, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Id talk to his dr and schedule a hearing test. I wouldnt worry but its worth being safe. GL!!
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 5:48 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Its actually part of genetics and temperament. My daughter is the same way but you could still ask the doc to be sure.
    dragonqueen

Answer by dragonqueen at 5:49 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Also find out how often this occurs. Is it all the time or every now and then? It could be a migraine. Sensitivity to light and sound is a symptom. He does not have to have pain to get one. But talk to the Ped
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 5:50 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• It could be that he has sensory issues to noise-- all 3 of my boys have sensory issues and noise is one of them. I would mention it to the doctor and see if they think your child should be evaluated further.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 5:50 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• My son is 3 and it drives him crazy and he has to cover his ears.. he has sensory issues as well.. always has though -
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:54 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• He might benefit from a little bit of auditory therapy if he's having problems integrating his auditory input. He will likely outgrow it naturally, too, if that's his only sensory issue.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 5:55 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• My girls have hearing issues and loud noises such as the toilet, music, crowds, etc hurt their ears.
    dmdblleb

Answer by dmdblleb at 6:14 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• My 5 year old son doesn't like loud noises either. We are quiet people for the most part, so I don't know if that is it, or if he just has particularly sensitive hearing. My daughter (who's 8) has serious issues with automatic toilets and has since before potty training, so I don't find that unusual....they ARE loud and scary to little kids.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 6:17 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• have the dr check him, it could be migraine, or it could be something else. some kids tend to have trouble with noises and school is one but it is best to bring it up with the doctor to find out what is actually going on
    WildCat73

Answer by WildCat73 at 6:20 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Talk to his doctor about a sensory issue. It could very well be that noise does effect him in different ways then most children.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 6:25 PM on Feb. 9, 2011