Need Help!

First off I would like to say we are a homeschool family. I am teaching my DD 2nd grade this year. And this year has been very trying for me and very rocky going for us both. I don't know if it is her age or what. . .but she has gotten very stubborn with doing her work. She used to love learning and homework and now it is like pulling teeth to just get her to do one assignment. Today I have come to the point where I am seriously considering putting her in public school. This is something I really really do not what to do! AND this is killing me. I don't know what to do. Our issues today are mainly consisting on doing review work she has already done earlier in the year. She was/has been given 1 hour for less than 5 pages of Math that she already knows the material on. And she is being bitter and refusing to do her work, crying and just not doing it. What should I do? Please I need advice! and no derogatory comments please. . .

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:55 PM on Feb. 9, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Have you tried the "Montessori" approach? She is probably getting bored and needs something more hands on. Try diff learning venues that will not distract her. Also, see how long this rut lasts. Im not pushing meds and NEVER will but if it keeps up then she could have ADD. Or she could just be rebelling. Its for your to evaluate and find out. GL!!
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 6:02 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Try to make her lessons more fun. For second grade math, you should be working on numbers and operations... try adding and counting items on an ice cream sundae or going outside to count, add and subtract things. She may need a break from the ordinary and usual lessons.

You also need to lay down some rules... There should be rewards and consequences for work completed/not completed. A reward could be a no homework coupon for work completed for four days in a row. Consequences could be no t.v. or going to bed early, etc.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 6:06 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Good for you for homeschooling and for trying to stick with it! I think every choice is valid, and haven't begun homeschooling my own just yet, but consider it more and more each week. Have you asked her why she is so adamant about NOT doing this work? Perhaps a compromise can be reached and she can have a break for today but must complete it tomorrow? If she persists, I would start to remove some privileges until she gives.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 6:01 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I would try just talking to her about what is wrong. She might be bored or she could be just emotional (my daughter goes through little emotional periods for no apparent reason). She could need a change of scenery. You could try compromising by cutting back on the math TEMPORARILY. Ask her if she is enjoying being homeschooled or does she want to go to public school. I'm sure she would rather be home, but maybe if she knows you are listening, she'll open up.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 6:15 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Mama, take a break! Find something to go out and do away from the house, maybe a botany lesson, plant identification, the various stages of dormancy, just go do something! And tell her that if she will just finish up these last few pages, that tomorrow you and she will go do something. I don't know where you live, but surely you could go take a nature walk, maybe go to the mall and compare prices on things, go to your state capitol and have a history lesson! tell her that you will plan 1 field trip every 2 weeks as long as she gets her work done,
    MamaAlice54

Answer by MamaAlice54 at 8:47 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Oh sorry sorry sorry I accidentally pressed the wrong thumb. . . all are thumbs up! sorry again. and thanks for the advice
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:08 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• we have talked about it a lot actually and she has always been very adamant about being homeschooled. She says she loves/likes it. Maybe a change of scenery is needed. She is very emotional so that may be it too. . . :( I will try all the advice. Thank you all! *hugs*
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:28 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• great! thanks for the idea
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:21 PM on Feb. 9, 2011