Song lyrics and "clueless" kids?

Is the word sex bad when the child has no clue of the meaning? When i have the radio on in the car she will sing California Gurls by Katy Perry. She also sings the verse 'sex, on the beach". Is this inappropriate or should I not worry about it? Her father, when i was out, let her listen to 'I kissed a Girl', also by Katy Perry. To me it can be inappropriate but considering her age it doesnt seem like a big deal. Should I make sure I dont play these songs around her? TIA!

BTW she is 4

Steph319

Asked by Steph319 at 5:55 PM on Feb. 9, 2011 in General Parenting

• when i was a very little kid, like 2nd grade, that song I Get Knocked Down by Chumbawumba was the most popular song. and of course there is that line "pissing the night away" and the the lines about whiskey drinks and vodka drinks. i never gave those lyrics a second thought when i was a kid. kids don't think about that stuff
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 6:03 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I don't let mine listen to music I haven't already preapproved.  They are way too curious and I am not ready for the question "what is sex on the beach", lol.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 5:56 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I think it's a big deal for a couple of reasons. You don't want her to use those words out of context when she doesn't know what they mean. Will you mind her listening to songs like this (which, btw, I LOVE Katy Perry...just don't let my littles listen) and singing them out when she is say 8 or 10 or 12, etc? I think it is never too early to just set the precedent but much harder to take things away when they've gotten used to them but are outgrowing their innocence.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 5:57 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• lol Mrs Houston. I def agree. But considering she doesnt ask now should I just stop before she does?
    Steph319

Comment by Steph319 (original poster) at 5:57 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I don't see anything wrong with the word sex. It's not a dirty word in any way. Although I don't censor my children's entertainment either, so I'm most likely not the best to answer this anyways. And my 3 & 4yos do know what sex is... By that age I think they should.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:58 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• It cut off the second half for some reason, so I'll retype...

If it makes you uncomfortable, then don't let her hear it. You are the parent and you get to pick and choose what and when your kids are exposed (to a point) to this kind of thing. So if you feel she isn't ready, then turn the channel.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:00 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• My husband doesn't censor any of his music, we haven't had the problem of them repeating anything.  It doesn't bother me because then HE gets to answer that question, lol.  I just feel funny, like I should listen to it while they are sleeping not infront of them.  So that's what I do.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 6:02 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Its just one of those controversial issues with this. No sex isnt bad. Should she be saying it at 4? I dont know. Is it wrong that a song is talking about homosexuality? I dont know. Im not uncomfortable but I do ? if its something she needs to be listening to and singing.
    Steph319

Comment by Steph319 (original poster) at 6:05 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• My kids just ignore the bad words and haven't asked about the ones that are questionable. My 8 year old's favorite song is Tik Tok by Kesha and while she does sing "brush my teeth with a bottle of Jack" she has NO clue what it means. I think she prefers the chorus and the beat of the song over what the actual words mean.
    MynTop

Answer by MynTop at 6:06 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• yeah, if you arent prepared to answer the questions then don't let her hear the songs..i would not lie though when she ask you what sex is. My son is only 6 and we were watching a movie and he asked me "why are they rolling around naked?" it wasnt a nasty movie..but it did have a small scene. my husbands jaw hit the floor. i just said.."maybe they are trying to make a baby"...my son then said.."are you and dad gonna roll around naked"..lol my dhs mouth hit the floor again..i was like "probably not tonight." kids will figure it out one way or another either way though
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 6:10 PM on Feb. 9, 2011