Have you read the Patriot Act?

If so what are your opinions?

http://www.aclu.org/FilesPDFs/patriot_text.pdf

SusieD250

Asked by SusieD250 at 11:39 AM on Nov. 17, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• I believe that we have established laws already in place that alert us to crimes that may happen. However, and I understand this will not be popular, we weren't scared before 9/11 and terrorism happened all over the world and we said: oh no, we don't want to be like that. Then, it happened here and suddenly we are willing to get rid of civil rights in exchange for a pretend crystal ball that is never going to be right.

Our country will be attacked again, how could it not be? However, I am much more concerned about preserving our civil rights and strengthening our existing laws, not making up new ones that eliminate civil rights and then abuse them for our governments own gain rather than to protect us from terrorism.
    Fiveofakind2

Answer by Fiveofakind2 at 2:17 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• Perhaps you should read from an unbiased source before you are swayed one direction or another...

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d107:h.r.03162:

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 11:49 AM on Nov. 17, 2008

• I did read the comic book version. I am not kidding.
    Fiveofakind2

Answer by Fiveofakind2 at 11:54 AM on Nov. 17, 2008

• I am reading the actual text. Not the ACLU summary. But I will read your link too. I think I will need more coffee today.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 12:01 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• lol.. disregard
    that link didn't open on my computer (blocks PDFfiles) and took me to ACLU home page... which opened up this...
    http://www.aclu.org/safefree/resources/17343res20031114.html
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 12:01 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• Thanks, I had my Starbucks Venti Latte :) Just my computer trying to be safe..lol
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 12:02 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• It just means that if they want to badly enough they can arrest you and hold you indefinately without trial and without a lawyer. They can use any kind of tracing device they want to get this information. This really isn't anything new, they've been doing it for 100 years, they just made it legal now. If you aren't doing anything illegal, or that looks illegal, this isn't going to affect you.
    Anonymous

• I am so sorry, but if you have no problem with the Patriot Act you really need to think again. It's not a matter of

"If you aren't doing anything illegal, or that looks illegal, this isn't going to affect you."

What it really is is a matter of if someone thinks you might have done or will do something, your butt gets picked up and you have no "due process". Basically you are at the mercy of whomever is in charge.  Your basic freedoms and rights are a mute point and you are basically "screwed".

THOSE WHO WOULD GIVE UP ESSENTIAL LIBERTY TO PURCHASE A LITTLE TEMPORARY SAFETY DESERVE NEITHER LIBERTY NOR SAFETY.

Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania 1759

hibicent

Answer by hibicent at 12:37 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• Benjamin Franklin didn't have to live after 9/11, did he?!

I am totally for the Patriot Act.
    Many terrorist cells have been dismantled because of PA. So I say, if it keeps another 9/11 from happening, it's ALL Good.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 12:39 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• That is the type of answer that scares me politically. Actually Ben Franklin you can infer from his writing that he would have been completely against the Patriot Act.

It infringes on civil rights. That is the most important thing we have.
    Fiveofakind2

Answer by Fiveofakind2 at 12:50 PM on Nov. 17, 2008