Advice on our son's first hair cut

Hi ladies,

We are taking our son, who is 2 1/2 for his first hair cut tomorrow. Do you have any advice to make it a positive-non-scream-fest!

Julians_Momma

Asked by Julians_Momma at 6:12 PM on Feb. 9, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Just talk positively about it. Can your husband get his cut too? Let him watch first. My kids always loved getting their hair cut. It was a special treat. Tell him you'll get ice cream after.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 6:14 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Bring a favorite toy (something small) or a book to read him while he's in the chair. Just something to help distract him.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 6:21 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• my ds is not even 2 yet and has had several haircuts w/o a screaming fit, i just hold him in my lap and he's fine
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 6:30 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Gameboys are the best! Or something similar, but when I was working at the salon that was the best thing to help little boys hold still so the stylist could do her thing. Or a book that he really likes to look at that you could read to him.
    My little girl absoulutely LOVES to get her hair cut, I think it is because she sees mommy do it all the time!
    brighteyesbryar

Answer by brighteyesbryar at 6:32 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I took my son to places that catered to children his first 3 or 4 times. They have things like "car" salon chairs or "plane" salon chairs. Some have tvs that they play kids shows on like Dora or Diego and then they give them a sucker to help with the stress of something new. I went to Cool Cuts For Kids and it was fantastic!! It's kind of pricey but for the first few cuts, I think it's more than worth it to show them the positive fun experience. After the "kids" catered experiences my son now has no problem getting his hair cut anywhere!!!
    XaviersMama311

Answer by XaviersMama311 at 6:33 PM on Feb. 9, 2011