When is it their decision?

If you are vegan or vegetarian, when do you let your kids decide for themselves? Or do you not? What age is app to decide whether they want to eat meat or not? Would you be mad if they liked it and went against your specific beliefs/eating habits? If so, why?  TIA

Steph319

Asked by Steph319 at 6:55 PM on Feb. 9, 2011 in Food & Drink

• I guess it would depend on the child as to how old is old enough.
    regardless of age, if a child of mine wanted to eat something I was against outside of the home then that is one thing.
    but If I don't want it in my house, I think that's the bottom line as to what is eaten at home.
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 6:57 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• we are not vegan or vegetarian. . .but very close to it. And honestly it is my house and until my DD can buy food of her own it is not her choice.
    Anonymous

• I agree it depends on the age. Like a 5 year old. I am sure doesn't understadn what a vegan really is and may just be going what a friend at school does. But My children can choose any diet when they get old enough to understand about them. If that want to be vegan or vegetarian, I could careless.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 6:59 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Beliefs? lol

I eat the way I do for my health, for the budget, and because I don't want something that has been standing belly high in its own shit, eating grain (which it CAN NOT digest), and then slaughtered in some of the most disgustingly unsanitary conditions crossing my lips- or the lips of anyone I love.

On occasion my kids eat meat, they eat fish, they simply choose not to most of the time. I will not "Ban" foods, but I won't cook them either. When they are old enough to buy it, properly handle, prepare, and clean up after it in my home then they may do so.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 6:59 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I asked this a while ago and apparently everyone is fine with their kids making these kinds of decisions at any age, or those are the answers I got anyway.
    I am not vegetarian, but if my child wanted to be then I would let them make that choice at the start of the teen years but they would have to research it enough to know what foods they needed to eat to get the right amount of protein. I also would not make a different meal for them. They could use the vegetarian portions from the family meal and supplement with their own choice of foods.

Answer by missanc at 7:00 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Well, I'm not vegetarian, however, if and when my kids were at a point in their lives where they felt they were ready to make that choice I would allow them to make it - assuming that they were still able to get all the nutritional intake they need with whatever diet they choose and that they do not try to push it (like any other personal choices) on the rest of the family.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:01 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

I cant def respect that. What if she ate a certain way out of the home? Is it her choice then or do these rules only apply within the household?
    Steph319

Comment by Steph319 (original poster) at 7:01 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I'm a veggie and my house is and will be veggie unless DH and I decide otherwise.

If the kids want meat out, that is fine with me as long as it is kosher. Once they are out of the house, they can decide if and how they want to continue the keeping kosher thing. DH experimented with non-kosher food in his 20's and couldn't tell his parents. I might not be the happiest, but they can tell me without fear that I'll get mad or have a heart attack. Their lives, their choices.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 7:02 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• whenever they want, my son went through a phase around 3-4 where he didn't like meat. Now hew does, kids go through phases and its ok just make sure the rest of their diet is full of nutrients. and have them take a multi vitamin.
    luvschocolate

Answer by luvschocolate at 10:06 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• we are vegetarian for many reasons, but religion is also a big part of it. If my kids were to eat meat, it would go against the religion we are raising them in. They can do that when they are mature enought to understand the implications then they can ,ake their own choice, but no dead animals will ever be cooked and eaten in my home
    shivasgirl

Answer by shivasgirl at 12:58 AM on Feb. 10, 2011