For those that don't do Santa, Easter Bunny or the like...

Over the last year I have been writing a blog and I've also been working on a book about my religious beliefs. So it's fair to say I've been bitten by the writing bug. I don't read fiction and I don't like to write it. I also have 3 small children. And we don't do things like Santa or whatever in this house. We have explained to our children that these are pretend and just for fun. However we don't deny them the fun of these beings either... They still get to watch Santa shows at Christmas, we simply impress on them that he's not really the one giving them gifts, cause he's pretend.

Now, here's my question. I'm in the process of finishing my book and was thinking of doing some childrens books because the ones I have wanted simply aren't out there. I've been looking for childrens books which (among other things) help children to understand that these beings are fictional, without denying them the magic... What I'm wondering is if you fall in to the category of those who don't do these things with your family, would you purchase children's books which are meant to explain this? Or do you simply prefer to do it yourself?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 6:56 PM on Feb. 9, 2011 in General Parenting

• I would do both. I would read them a book that explains it just so they can see that its not just a family belief. And I would also explain these things to them also.
    True_Gator_77

Answer by True_Gator_77 at 7:02 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• if you are looking to tell kids things like there is no santa claus, then I suggest you find other topics to write about.

I personally don't agree with the Santa claus thing, but I know how important it is to many children.

why would you want to go there? I say that you are stepping into territory that is dangerous and to stay out of it
    Anonymous

• You write books to make money. I highly doubt any publisher would get involved with publishing books like that for children especially in this economy. That's like trying to sell frozen mice to people who like to eat them! GL, LOL!

Anonymous

• How is education dangerous territory? Most kids who's parents don't do this stuff are still being exposed to it through books and media, I'm not sure how having a book which tells the truth is a bad thing. Obviously if their parents don't want them to know the truth then parents won't buy it for them... But for those of us who could use some outside support I don't see how it's a bad thing. My son for example lost his first tooth at 4 1/2. Because he was so young, and the oldest, we had never addressed the reality of there not being a tooth fairy. So he only knew what he had seen on TV, and he thought we were lying when we told him there is no tooth fairy. He still made cash, it just came from mom & dad... So a story book could have gone a long ways to back up the truth in his eyes...

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 7:07 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Anon- That's a bridge I would cross when time came. Plus, I can always self publish!

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 7:08 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• We don't do Santa, the Easter Bunny, etc.  On Christmas they get presents, from US.  On Easter, they get candy from US.  I would totally buy books on these subjects in the way you described.  In my family, they would be extremely relevant.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 7:10 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• im with ya on the subject and has an awesome point but im also jewish hahah
    miritrose

Answer by miritrose at 7:13 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I'm not teaching my child to believe in these fictional charecters either, my parents didn't ever tell me those things were real, they always told me they were just for fun and I still enjoyed holidays, I didn't ever feel like I was missing anything, we still did easter egg hunts on easter I just didn't believe that a bunny hid them, my mother would still fill our christmas stockings on christmas eve while we were asleep but we just knew that she was the one doing it. Though I don't know if I would buy a book to explain this to my dd since she is growing up aready knowing they aren't real. I think if you want to do a book on this subject I would lean more towards explaining to a child why his/her friends all beleive in this, I think that is confusing for a child. I remeber anoncing to my entire kindergarden class that santa wasn't real because I just didn't understand why all my class mates thought he was
    Liz132

Answer by Liz132 at 7:15 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• . I think if you want to do a book on this subject I would lean more towards explaining to a child why his/her friends all beleive in this, I think that is confusing for a child

I wanted to go in to that in these as well. Because I think it's important that each parent get to raise their kids the way they choose, even if I don't agree. And because I know the harassment I went through because I liked to tell kids their mom was a "liar" - yeah I was a bitch even at 6 - lol! So I thought it would be good to make part of the story NOT sharing what you know with others!

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 7:17 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• We just told my daughter the truth about them. I tried going to the library to find a book, but there were none. So I had to go online and find the stories behind the stories to show her that Yes, there was a man long ago that built toys and gave them away, but NO, he was not Santa as we know him.
    summerbear

Answer by summerbear at 7:44 PM on Feb. 9, 2011