At what age do you think it's appropriate...

be alone at the library for an hour?

skittles1108

Asked by skittles1108 at 7:14 PM on Feb. 9, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• middle school. as long as you had trust in them that they would not go outside the library
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 7:16 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• i would say not until they are at least 15
    alisha2104

Answer by alisha2104 at 7:16 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Different day and age but I was doing it by 11. I lived in a small town and my librarians were very helpful and kept a good eye on the kids.
    sandbuster

Answer by sandbuster at 7:17 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• It depends. Is it a supervised activity, or just them hanging out? Does anyone there know your child well? Is it a fairly small building that can be monitored effectively?
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 7:20 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I would say 10 and up. As long as they're responsible and actually stay there.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 8:43 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• i would have to say around the age 10. there are adults in the library so not too much could go wrong.
    lisha83

Answer by lisha83 at 9:50 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• age 12 or middle school. I would feel better if they were with a friend though.
    jcm62497

Answer by jcm62497 at 11:18 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• First you'd have to check the rules of the library (some have rules and I've seen anything from 8-14). For my kids it would be around 9 or 10 if they were actually alone. If they were together...I probably wouldn't trust them to NOT make a nuisance of themselves. They goad each other along and get too rowdy to be left in a library together (they are 8, 9 and 10).
    Not sure what our local library rules are. I've only been there once and the building is about as big as our house and half of it is the kids' section. It's a small town (we used to live in Chicago and I'd still leave them there, too) so everyone looks out for each other. They don't even charge late fees at the library here...they are just very trusting. I left my 4yo and 4mo in the kids' section and explored the rest of the library and no one thought anything of it.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:30 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• Middle school
    JacquitaH

Answer by JacquitaH at 2:38 PM on Feb. 10, 2011