Breast Milk Donation

A new clinic has opened up where mothers can donate their breast milk to hospitals to help fed preemies. What do you think about this? All they do is a blood test and a health screen before you donate. Do you think this is an excellent idea? Or unsafe? Would you ever donate?

http://healthcare.utah.edu/primarycare/redwood/breastmilk/index.php

mommy_of_two388

Asked by mommy_of_two388 at 7:18 PM on Feb. 9, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would need some information on how "unsafe" it is.  Remember wayyyyy back long before Enfamil.  It was extremely common to ask another mother to breastfeed your child if you couldn't.  I know that I am disease free so I wouldn't have any problem donating breast milk to someone who needed it. 

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 7:20 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• i think is awesome!! more clinis and hospitals should do this. and yes i would donate in a heartbeat. donated bm is safer then formula.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 7:20 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I think it's great that mothers donate their breastmilk. As long as it's "good" breastmilk, (clean breastmilk I guess you could say. haha) then it is a lot healthier then formula! Preemies need all the nutrients they can get! :)
    Joelea

Answer by Joelea at 7:21 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Oh, and I would donate if I was a mother! :)
    Joelea

Answer by Joelea at 7:22 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I would definalty donate my breastmilk but both my kids have been breat fed so they use up all my milk. Even when I had too much with my second child I would pump and then freeze then later use if for my toddler.
    LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Answer by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 9:04 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I didnt think I would do anything like this UNTIL I had issues with my supply and had to stop nursing b/c my son was not thriving BUT I did not want him to NOT get bm SO with some research and meeting mamas I know have 2 mamas that donate breast milk to my son and he has gotten 400oz already!!!!! When the situation comes up and you have to make a choice then your opinion may change:) I have changed my thought on it completely!! Without these wonderful mamas help My son would not be able to have any bm at all. He is not fat and happy and also NEVER been sick to this day and I thank these mamas for it!! If I could I would absolutely donate!! Wonderful idea! Just wish more hospitals would work with mothers and this idea become more popular then just a whole bunch of formula.
    Granolamama3795

Answer by Granolamama3795 at 9:32 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• i have no luck with the pump, but if i did i would donate in a heartbeat!
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:34 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• If I could pump, I'd do it and I would definitely use it for a child if I could not bf for a solid health reason. My boys were fed human milk until they weened themselves, age 28 months and 3 years 1 month.

Chances are that if a women is determined enough to pump a large amount of milk, she's safe.
    SnapdragonSMT

Answer by SnapdragonSMT at 9:35 PM on Feb. 9, 2011