Does you have experience with having a cyst rupture?

I have always had problems with cysts, but I've never had one rupture. My right ovary was KILLING me all day Saturday & a little on Sunday, but then at 5:00 this morning, I woke up with the WORST pain! I would really say that this pain was comparable with some of the contractions I had while in labor with my son. I came VERRRY close to waking my husband & having him take me to the hospital, but I kept telling myself "if it doesn't stop in 10 minutes, I will." and I did that for about 30 minutes or so.

heather.huckaby

Asked by heather.huckaby at 11:48 AM on Nov. 17, 2008 in Health

• I have had cysts all my life and have had a few exploding ones. When they rupture it almost feels like there is something wrong with your appendix. When i first had one rupture i went to the hospital thinking that my appendix had ruptured, thats how bad it was. When i went to the OBGYN the next day they did an ultrasound that confirmed that i had cysts and that one ruptured. There is nothing that they can do for a cyst that ruptured. It is good that it rupture, because that means that it is not there anymore. I would just wait for you doctor. He may just want to send you for and u/s to see if you have anymore. There is nothing you can really do for cysts unless they are really big and need to be removed, but in most cases they just leave them alone.
    jencris

Answer by jencris at 12:04 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• ((Sorry, continued from above)) Eventually, the excruciating pain turned into a dull, bearable pain, and I was able to go back to sleep. I tried getting in to see my ob/gyn today, but he is in surgery & can't see me.

Basically, my question is--- have you had a cyst rupture? Does it sound like this is what I experienced? What do they do when you have one rupture, or is there anything that they do at all? I'm trying to decide whether to try to find a diff. doctor to see me today or to let it go.
    heather.huckaby

Answer by heather.huckaby at 11:49 AM on Nov. 17, 2008

• Jencris is right. There's really nothing you can do. The pain you felt is pretty normal for a ruptured cyst. It hurts for a couple of hours and then eventually fades away and life gets back to normal. You should always call your dr. just to make sure they don't want to check you out further.
    sillyt

Answer by sillyt at 12:11 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• It hurts :(. Check with your doctor as PP said to see if you need follow up.
    KnoxvilleDoula

Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 1:23 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• I had a cyst the size of a softball on my right ovary and it ruptured...It really felt like I was having a period but with extra blood and tissues(I know TMI). But the bleeding came before my actual period was supposed to come. It was painful and I took some advils and midols for the pain. After all was done I felt good because the pain was gone. Good Luck!
    MaiasMommy619

Answer by MaiasMommy619 at 4:14 PM on Nov. 17, 2008