• In the Spotlight:

3 yr old stealing?

i was about to die i went to buy some clothes as we are walking out i hear beep beep beep. so they wanted to check to make sure all the things off my clothes. i tell my daughter come on... she didnt want to go back. i tell her to get in now and i realize there is something under her jacket!!! she put a stuffed animal under her jacket!!! i didnt know what to do all i could do was say sorry and made her say sorry... what do i do to help her understand this is bad? this isnt the first time shes done it its like the 4th!

whitenena

Asked by whitenena at 11:51 AM on Nov. 17, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• WOW she is very young to REALLY understand what she is doing it. The fact that she had it under her jacket and did not want to go back did show that she knew it was wrong BUT at the same time she has no concept of how wrong.
    You did the right thing!
    Next time you go to the store make sure she doesnt have anything on her before you leave... you can make believe that you are fixing her clothes to check.
    That is the best you can do for now.
    Paty_hotmommy

Answer by Paty_hotmommy at 4:04 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• Talk to her about how it would feel if someone took her stuff without asking. Three is also about the right age to start a small allowance and start teaching her the value of money. At three my son a three simple task to do and each task earned him a quarter.  Picking up toys, putting clothes in the laundry stuff they can do on their own at this age.

bugandsmiles

Answer by bugandsmiles at 12:00 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• Well, I think that with her being only three, she is not grasping the concept that the merchandise in the stores has to be bought before it leaves the store. Try to make it like a story for her. About how the merchandise gets to the store, how it is waiting for a new home and that it has to be bougth before it can leave the store... You gotta do what you gotta do.. Be creative with this one.
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 12:04 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• First you need to find out why she is doing this. If you inderstand why, it will be a lot easier to deal with. Maybe she was afraid to ask for it, maybe she can't help it. Talk to her doctor about it, I've heard that it's an actualy disorder. If you do the santa thing, now is a great time to use him and let her know that if she does things like that santa will bring her nothing. Maybe she needs some small chores, (picking up her room, helping fold the laundry) to make her own money so she can buy her own things?
    Sammieanne

Answer by Sammieanne at 12:34 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• Don't allow her to go into a public place with you again for quite awhile. If you have to go to the store and HAVE to take her with you, place her little ass in a cart or stroller and don't let her touch anything in sight.

My now nine year old did this ONCE when he was eight. I spanked his ass, made him take it back (candy) to the store and apologize to the store manager, and he was grounded from everything (video games, toys, park, ANY kind of fun or entertainment) for thirty days. He also wasn't allowed to go anywhere with me for those thirty days.

He's learned his lesson and hasn't done it since.
    crdc91506

Answer by crdc91506 at 2:01 PM on Nov. 17, 2008