Kidney Stones

I started getting them last December, and they come and go every few months. I'm terrified of getting them while pregnant! I'm almost 5 weeks, and have some little kidney pains but not like passing stones. Have any of you had them or know someone who has? What can they do for the pain while you're pregnant?

cskomk0106

Asked by cskomk0106 at 11:53 AM on Nov. 17, 2008 in Pregnancy

• I had them and they would only give my prescription tylenol

robinalbright

Answer by robinalbright at 11:56 AM on Nov. 17, 2008

• I had a history of them, but fortunately didn't suffer them during pregnancy. Do a little research on the web. There are certain foods that will agravate them so try to avoid those things.
    SashaJ

Answer by SashaJ at 11:58 AM on Nov. 17, 2008

• I had a series of them during my second pregnancy because of the amount they hospitalized me and gave me demyrol. If you only have one or two though they give you tylonol or Vicodin.
    bugandsmiles

Answer by bugandsmiles at 12:05 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• omg, i started getting them when i was 20, i was so young and couldnt figure out why me. i got them when i was pregnant with my 2nd and my gyno put me in the high risk pregnany unit at the hospital, i was put on morphine, believe it or not. its too painful for me to take by myself, nothing helps at home.
    SHADYZGIRL1983

Answer by SHADYZGIRL1983 at 12:05 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• sorry to hear that. Do you drink enough water? I start getting them when I don't drink enough water.
    reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 12:20 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• I had kidney stones when I was 18 but not while I was pregnant thank God! Drink plenty of water and cut back on colored liquids. Especially ones that are brownish in color. A lot of people get kidney stones from phosphorus in pops like Pepsi.  Brown liquids are usually a good indicator of that substance.  Also sugar is bad.  Don't worry if you do get them though.  My sister was in extreme pain while she was pregnant and she was still given morphine and other pain meds.  Her baby came out fine and they helped.  If you are in enough pain that it elevates your blood pressure you can get pain meds.  Don't be afraid of that.  It's not the best thing but the benefits outweigh the risks.

BabyBreyen

Answer by BabyBreyen at 12:51 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• I had a kidney stone when I was pregnant and it caused me to have contractions. They had me lay on my back and put a bed pan thing under my butt and stuck things or their hand inside to do whatever. It hurt alot. They gave me I think some meds after. The contractions ended up stopping, I was like too early to have the baby anyways
    Anonymous