Is there a way to guess a dog's age?

I'm asking because we got this Cocker Spaniel from a shelter. There is no records on him. He has lost an eye, which the Vet ruled out was not due to a medical reason. Anyway, they said because of the look of his teeth, he was probably about nine. But I was always under the impression that nine year old dogs would be acting a little slower... This dog, drive me nuts! He bounces around the house, jumps from furniture, is always in motion. Similar to a four year old with a furry body. So, how do you guess their age? What would you guess?

pupmom

Asked by pupmom at 11:55 AM on Nov. 17, 2008 in Pets

• The vet is usually right...Maybe the dog is just being that way because it is excited to not be in a shelter anymore!! I know that the best way to tell the dog's age is by the teeth. That is what my aunt told me and she is a vet..I had two dogs growing up and one was a mix breed and was extremely hyper until it was about 11 years old and the other was a poodle and it stopped being hyper when it was about 8 or 9, so maybe it depends on the breed as well. Good luck!!
    CarieP

Answer by CarieP at 12:08 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• I would go with what the vet said. Smaller breeds tend to live longer than larger breeds, so his activity level could be because of that.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 11:57 AM on Nov. 17, 2008

• The best way to tell how old a dog is, is by its teeth, I have a Cocker Spaniel and He was VERY hyper until he turned about 11 or 12
    robinalbright

Answer by robinalbright at 12:02 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• an experienced vet can often look at their teeth and determine approximately how old they are. Thats what they did with our cat :)-sounds wierd but it works
    Tricia19

Answer by Tricia19 at 12:38 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• Teeth are usually right.. you are so sweet adopting :)
    KnoxvilleDoula

Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 1:17 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• My eleven yr old lhaso still runs around playing with his friends. Jumps to the bed and the couch.I was wondering when he wasa going to slow down, and know exactly how old he is..lol Your new friend must be very happy to be in your family. Good for you for adopting. Good luck with him and have fun.
    doglovergranny

Answer by doglovergranny at 3:45 PM on Nov. 17, 2008